Author Topic: COMPLETED James and Sarah Stewart  (Read 5660 times)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
COMPLETED James and Sarah Stewart
« on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I received this request from a distant relative in Scotland and since I haven't done much Irish research I am at a loss as to what to respond
I wonder if you could offer me some advice please. I am trying to trace the parents of Thomas Stewart born 25/11/1860 in Drumcrow, Dungannon, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland (Ireland as it would have been then). He must have come over to UK before 25/5/1889 as that was when he married Elizabeth McIvor (or McIver) in Co Durham. I have his baptism cert from Killyman church which includes his parent's names and that's where the trail runs dry. He died in Co Durham in 1939. His parents were called James and Sarah Stewart, living in Drumcrow at the time of his birth. Do you know the best place for me to find out more about James and Sarah, siblings etc? Is there a particular website I should look at or is there anything you could possibly look at quickly for me.
Does anyone have any advise I can send him?
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James and Sarah Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Thomas.

There are several churches in the area- do you know what religion the family would have been in Ireland? If there were siblings they would likely be baptised in the same church as Thomas.
http://cotyroneireland.com/churchrecord/parishrecords.html

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 12 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  Drumcrow is in the parish of Killyman. On 10 Mar 1854 James Stewart married Sarah Rogers in Killyman Church of Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  Drumcrow is in the parish of Killyman. On 10 Mar 1854 James Stewart married Sarah Rogers in Killyman Church of Ireland.

Regards

James' father was Benjamin Stewart and Sarah's father Thomas Rogers- marriage is listed on www.familysearch.org

(male) Stewart born 20 Feb.1876 Dungannon, Tapone (Tyrone?), Ireland= parents James Stewart (Drumcrow) and Sarah Rodgers (also from above site)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation has a James Stewart listed in 1860 in Drumcrow. He was renting a house, offices (outbuildings) and just over 8 acres of land (on two separate plots 20a & 20b on Griffiths). Today the main bit with the house, 20a  is down a lane off the Drumaspil Rd, which in turn is off the A45 Ballynakilly Rd. An Alexander Stewart was farming nearby on the same townland.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

1 Stewart households in Drumcrow in 1901 plus a Steward (perhaps a variation of the name?):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Drumaspil/Drumcrow/1736181/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Drumaspil/Drumcrow/1736173/

Family seems to have been Church of Ireland so I would be inclined to concentrate on Killyman parish records for siblings etc. The following records have been copied to PRONI:

C.I. Killyman (Armagh diocese) Baptisms, 1745-1871; marriages, 1741-1845; burials, 1745-1875; vestry minutes, 1756-1894; confirmations, 1837.

And the following are still in local custody (ie held by the vicar/rector):

Baptisms, 1872-; marriages, 1845-; burials, 1876-; registers of vestrymen, 1870-.
Elwyn

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 January 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if the parents are James Stewart, Sarah Rodgers then there are several other births recorded on the Family search site using parent search:

23 Nov 1865   0871,​COALISLAND,​TYRONE,​IRELAND, Female Stewart
01 May 1868   Coalisland,​ Tyr,​ Ire                            , Alexander Stewart
08 Nov 1870   Coalisland,​ Tyr,​ Ire                            , Male Stewart
11 Jul 1873   Coal Island,​ Tyr,​ Ire.                          , Male Stewart
15 Apr 1878   Druncran,​ Tyrone,​ Ireland                  , Female Stewart

These birth records also appear for Coalisland RC church on the roots Ireland site, along with the birth above from 1876 mentioned by aghadowey

Regards
Joe

PS Both parents included in both searches
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 January 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
A huge thank you to all who responded.  My relative in Scotland sends this message, Wow, what a good response to your posting about the Stewarts - many thanks.
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline David.Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED James and Sarah Stewart
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 August 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

My mother was a Margaret Stewart , her father was Thomas William, born Cookhall Consett ,his father was Thomas born in Drumcrow and baptised on the 28th November 1860 in St Andrews church Killyman and my great great great grandfather was James Stewart married to Sarah.
I recently visited Ireland last week and St. Andrews Church in Killyman.
Can you contact me as Iam interested in which side of the family you are looking into it for.

David

Offline David.Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED James and Sarah Stewart
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 August 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Sue I cannot respond to your mail for some reason but yes it’s the same family and it must have been Stuart Smith I think who is in Edinburgh I believe.

David