Author Topic: TONKIN burials in Stoke Damerel  (Read 1642 times)

Offline conseiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TONKIN burials in Stoke Damerel
« on: Saturday 21 January 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying to find the burial & headstone details of Tonkin ancestors who died at Stoke Damerel.
All I have is -

John Tonkin died at Stoke Damerel on 17th Mar 1876 (born 17 nov 1795),
his wife Sukey/Susan died at Stoke Damerel in 1881
his Son William who is believed to have died in 1903 aged in his 70's along with his wife Mary.
I know that William Tonkin owned drapers and lived above the shop at 60-62 Fore Street in Stoke Damerel  he is in both the 18881 and 1891 census at this address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Luc.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline conseiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tonkin burials in Stoke Damerel
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi DOB7,

That is a really great help thank you - thanks to you the gravestone of Mary and Sukey tonkin  is now located

but after a search of the site  there was no trace of William's death in 1903 - so I will keep searching.

thanks again - regards - Luc.

Offline shami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: TONKIN burials in Stoke Damerel
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have read this post with interest and wonder if the William Tonkin mentioned is related to my William Tonkin with whom I have hit a brick wall. (My wife's 3rd Great Grandfather).

Known details are:

On 10 Jun 1810 at Tavistock, Devon William Tonkin married Mary Tyack (of this parish), with Banns posted March 15,22 & 29th that year. Witnesses William Monk & Eathie Carthew.

William is next mentioned on his daughter Mary Ann (Letcher) Tonkin baptism record on 24 December 1815 living in Stoke Damerel (Labourer).

Final mention of William is on his daughter Mary Ann Tonkin marriage record on 6 October 1838 (St Agnes, Cornwall), where her father is shown at William Tonkin (Miner).

I am struggling to find who William's parents are, his birth date or place of birth.  Any assistance to break this brink wall would;d be greatly appreciated.

King regards

Shami

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
According to the Cornwall OPC free database, a William TONKIN was buried at St Agnes 12 Sep 1840, aged 75, address: Vicarage Lane - so that would make his birth year ca 1765. Unfortunately, 2 William TONKINS were baptised in St Agnes in 1765 and one in 1762 - however, these all seem to old to be yours if he married for the first time in 1810. St Agnes seems to have a boatload of William TONKINS - an almost impossible set of choices.
There are some baptisms in Tavistock which possibly belong to your William & wife Mary:
29 Jul 1810 Benjamin (born 14 July)
20 Nov 1811 Steven
5 Apr 1812 Benjamin (Wesleyan Methodist Chapel)
6 Mar 1814 Jarisha (Wesleyan Methodist Chapel)

Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline shami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi DOB7,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I shall look at your helpful baptism suggestions.  It seems William did a lot of traveling and is difficult to pin down.

Regards

Shami