Author Topic: 1899 -1902 Boer War  (Read 619 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1899 -1902 Boer War
« on: Saturday 21 January 12 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, I need some help. I'm trying to find a military record for My great grandfather, I have tried the military section of the forum without success so I'm hoping for better luck here. Anyway, my great grandfather was Joseph Parker and he was born in Aberdare, South Wales in 1881. In 1899 at the start of the second Boer War he was living in Pontypridd,  South Wales and he would have been 18 years of age. My father tells me he was stationed somewhere near Rorke's Drift but I'm not sure. I would assume, unless he was conscripted, that he joined the local regiment which I understand was the Welch Regiment. Another reason I think he joined this regiment is my father had a cap badge  which was a brass or copper metal in the shape of the three feathers with the inscription on it ''The Welch''. I had always assumed it was my grandfathers from the second world war but he was a driver in The Royal Army Service Corps. Any help on this subject would be greatfully received. Cheers Guys.
Parker

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1899 -1902 Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
have you tried the regimental museum?

http://www.rrw.org.uk/family/index.htm

Pretty sure there wasn't conscription before the First World War.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/spotlights/antiwar.htm
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb