Author Topic: Approve School boy 1950  (Read 27342 times)

Offline 123nosmoking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Approve School boy 1950
« Reply #45 on: Monday 08 April 24 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  I've been trying to find a Approved School in he Cotswolds for a while and Google has brought me here.  There couldn't have been many in The Cotswolds so I'm assuming this is the correct one.  My brother was there when I was about 10 years old so about 1963.  He is Ronald Mainwaring and to be honest a nasty piece of work  for the day.  Anyone remember him? I do have a photograph with all of us as a family sitting on a bank near to the building.

Offline 123nosmoking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Approve School boy 1950
« Reply #46 on: Monday 08 April 24 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
Came across this thread whilst researching the Cotswold School.
I was there circa 1960, but not for long. It had a reputation for being 'Progressive' in those days, but I found it an awful place.... They had a small cell block where I was kept locked in for a good amount of time.

I'd particularly like to contact Louise at some point when I can use the PM system. I'm pretty sure I can add to your knowledge in this area.

I was also in Bryn Estyn, Mobberly Boys School, Danesford School, in Congleton, Cheshire, Red Bank Classifying School in Warrington. The latter three in Cheshire, I think we all know of the Bryn Estyn story, all closed for abuse, as I understand it.
Kingswood Classifying School in Bristol, Tennal School in Harbourne, Birmingham, and Eastmoor in Leeds were also part of my childhood experience and part of a bit of research on my part currently.

Slightly off topic here above but I would welcome contacts with ex Cotswold School 'pupils'. Pooled knowledge can only be good, and I'm hoping this current Operation Pallial will produce some real results after the Waterhouse shambles.

John F.
(Gloucester)
Hi. I was in Kingswood Classifying School in about 1965.  I eventually went down the hill to Kingswood Training School (Posh name for Approved School lol) I was there almost a year and to be honest it never done me any harm!