Author Topic: O'Malley or Malley  (Read 3942 times)

Offline soliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Malley or Malley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 22 19:58 BST (UK) »
No I haven't done any DNA things yet, waiting for the right time for me.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 22 20:59 BST (UK) »
My Dad's Mother was an O'Malley only one of six Siblings born in Liverpool the others born in Dublin
She always maintained there was a Family connection to the Guinness Family but she never elaborate on her known secret that Died with her.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline soliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 01:36 BST (UK) »
I too, heard the story about the Guinness family purchasing the family home in Ireland, some relatives I have located also tell me this, plus a "nodding acquaintance" with Queen Victoria, we have a picture of Marion Katherine Sands (born Malley or O'Malley).  We have a story that her father used family money to assist victims of the potato famine.  She had a sister Frances Emily, who never married, and an aunt who was a widow in 1900.  I do know that she listed her father "Charles Malley", as a gentleman (no occupation) when she married.  We also know that her mother was a Spencer.  She used both Malley and O'Malley at different times.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 07:35 BST (UK) »
Aunt Catherine Malley gives Ballina as her birth place in 1911.
1921 index shows County Mayo but the document might have more detail of birthplace.

There is a will in 1923 with probate granted to Sir Francis Minchin Voules    knight.
He was a solicitor and it doesn’t look as there was a family connection. The will might have family information.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 22:54 BST (UK) »
I too, heard the story about the Guinness family purchasing the family home in Ireland

Sir Benjamin Guinness purchased the Ashford estate in 1852.
https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/cong/history/ashford-castle.html

Added. https://irelandxo.com/ireland/mayo/cong-mayo
Click "Cong in the 1830s" for description + list of "gentlemen's seats". 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 23:31 BST (UK) »
Charles O Malley of Cloonane, Mayo and his brother J B O' Malley ran the National Bank in Castlebar. 

A branch of the National Bank was established in Castlebar in 1836. Mentioned in an article about Castlebar history in "Connaught Telegraph" 19th Feb. 2022.
"Conaught Telegraph" and "Mayo Constitution" newspapers were both founded 1828. There may be relevant articles or adverts in them.
Cowban

Offline soliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 02:53 BST (UK) »
The "cousins" in the United States, sent me a handwritten paper titled "The O'Malleys" written by Rev. William Gordon Tanner, her son-in-law.  And while some of the items written about are not exactly accurate, from the research I've done, some of the "Memoirs" I have been able to confirm, however, and I sure that some of the memories were of an aristoractic woman who exaggerated a little were very accurate, but there are pieces missing.  The book "Charles O'Malley The Irish Dragoon" was said have been written about Marion Kathleen's great-great grandfather while the author was guest in his house.

That after her father paid the bank's starving creditors, he was force to sell and move to England.  Her memoirs say that Edwin Sands was a banker but census records indicate he was a grocer and brewer,  her story says he was killed in a stage coach accident, I was told he commited suicide after getting religion and losing the family fortune.  That her eldest son, George in her memory was a cricket player of note, I was told that he was killed in a carriage accident, with his fiance. 

When the Edwin died, Marion opened a school, however at one point the boys were in a work/poor house (census records).

So I do believe that is a whisper of truth that we had some pretty fancy ancestors, I don't know all the facts and probably never will.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 07:39 BST (UK) »
You mention ‘Cong, Castlebar’. These are different places. Ashford Castle is Cong which was purchased by a Guinness member, see Maiden Stone’s post , but I have not found a mention of Malley there previously.
In newspaper snippets there are references to Charles Malley, Cong Abbey, a miller. There is mention of bankruptcy in 1861.
Griffiths Valuation https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ shows a Charles Malley in Creggaree https://www.townlands.ie/galway/ross/cong/cloonbur/creggaree/ which may be that Charles.

You also post, “ We also know that her mother was a Spencer

Apologies if these have been posted already and with your research you will have them but I am posting for others who are trying to help.

Charles Malley death Castlebar 1874
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1874/020657/7248374.pdf

Calendar of Wills http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/index.jsp
Charles Malley death 1874 (late of Castlebar)
Charles Spencer Malley death 1865 (late of Castlerea but died in Africa)
Sarah Jane Malley death 1862 (late of Castlebar)

All these appear together in 1875 and administration granted to Caroline Gray (Malley from marriage records)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 08:33 BST (UK) »

Her memoirs say that Edwin Sands was a banker but census records indicate he was a grocer and brewer,  her story says he was killed in a stage coach accident, I was told he commited suicide after getting religion and losing the family fortune.  That her eldest son, George in her memory was a cricket player of note, I was told that he was killed in a carriage accident, with his fiance. 

When the Edwin died, Marion opened a school, however at one point the boys were in a work/poor house (census records).
So I do believe that is a whisper of truth that we had some pretty fancy ancestors, I don't know all the facts and probably never will.

Edward Sands
1861 Grocer and Draper
1871 Grocer
1877 Probate record - Farmer and Grocer

I don’t see the boys in the workhouse on censuses though.
Added - sorry, yes I can see them in ‘Infant Orphan Asylum’, Wanstead in 1881. Other children are with their mother.