Author Topic: France - overseas territories  (Read 1021 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
France - overseas territories
« on: Monday 23 January 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Earlier this afternoon I posted in the 'Other countries' forum a query about records of deaths in New Caledonia; a suggestion was made that records from NC would be kept in France. Any views?

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France - overseas territories
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 22:08 GMT (UK) »
http://anom.archivesnationales.culture.gouv.fr/ is the site for the "Archives nationales d'outre mer"

Unfortunately the "etat civil" records for New Caledonia are not online (yet?).  Under "Base nominative Personnes et Familles" there are some records of prisoners from the area.  The main archives website says the bmds are being "progressively digitised". Otherwise, the records are on microfilm (not sure if the LDS might have copies of these - the archives themselves are in Aix-en-Provence).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: France - overseas territories
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jorose for your knowledgeable response: I'll enquire whether LDS has a copy of the Aix microfilm material. Otherwise I have the options of waiting until the material is easier to access, or find a researcher local to Aix to undertake a search on my behalf. Either way, this offers a way forward in my search for an elusive ancestor.
Best wishes IB