Author Topic: 3 or 4 married Sullivan sisters! Who are their parents?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline JKiernan

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3 or 4 married Sullivan sisters! Who are their parents?
« on: Monday 23 January 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone! I am new to the CORK board with some new information I received from a newly found relative. I've been spending most of my time on the Leitrim board following KIERNAN.

Here we go. I'll try not to confuse you. The first listed is my GGGF/M.
Mary J Sullivan ((b:1844-46) m: Daniel Hanley
Johannah Sullivan (b:1857) m: Patrick Donoghue (b:1854)
The other two sisters can't be confirmed, but this is what Mary Sullivan Hanley obit said in the Oct. 1924 San Francisco Chronicle: survived by her sister Ellen Mullen and the late Mrs John Dwyer (I have no information on these two).
I know that Johannah Sullivan Donoghue remained  and died in CORK . 1901 Census link below.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Mitchelstown/Ballinabrook/1152988/

I can't confirm the link below of a Mary Sullivan / Daniel Hanley marriage because we can't confirm the fathers name with the sisters
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGHR-N8F

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have. Any info on the Hanley's would also be appreciated.

Jeff

Kiernan
Charles
O'Brien
Harte
Smith
Snedeker
Rock
Finn
Ryan
Hanley
Sullivan
Meagher
Cronin
Murphy
Kidney

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 3 or 4 married Sullivan sisters! Who are their parents?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, are you saying you're not sure if both the links are for your people? Castletown Registration District is a long way from Mitchelstown. Do you know where your Sullivans are from?

Offline JKiernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 12 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonas.

Yes the Sullivan's are from Mitchelstown. I didn't know where Castletown was therefore I couldn't confirm the father's name. I am researching Marshalstown as an area where the Hanley's MIGHT be from.

Thanks, Jeff

Another bit of information is that my GGGF Daniel Hanley had a brother named John if that helps.
Kiernan
Charles
O'Brien
Harte
Smith
Snedeker
Rock
Finn
Ryan
Hanley
Sullivan
Meagher
Cronin
Murphy
Kidney

Offline JKiernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 00:10 GMT (UK) »
This is another point of interest that may be helpful from my new found relative. We're trying to confirm the name James Sullivan. He could be the father or maybe a brother?????

a listing from Griffith's Valuation (tax list) 1870-1884 Cork, Mitchelstown, Barony of Condon & Clangibbow, Parish of Brigown, Ballynabrock:
1879 - James Sullivan replaced on the tax list by Patrick Donohoe, Immediate Lessors Countess of Kingston, Area 19 A. ,1 R. 32, P. 32; Land 8 pounds; Buildings 15 s.; total 8 pounds, 15 shillings
This is a very good clue to the father of Johannah and Mary. It  looks like when  Patrick Donoghue married James Sullivan's daughter, Johannah, he took over his land. Of course I would like more documentation but I think this is pretty solid. Ballynabrock is the tiny townland that the Donoghues still live on today. It is near Mitchelstown but is very rural and is mostly small farms. To do further research, you now know that the Sullivans came from the tiny townland of Ballynabrock or Ballinabough in Mitchelstown, County Cork.

Thanks again for everything you do.
Jeff

Kiernan
Charles
O'Brien
Harte
Smith
Snedeker
Rock
Finn
Ryan
Hanley
Sullivan
Meagher
Cronin
Murphy
Kidney

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look but didn't really come up with a lot.

The 1865 Castletown marriage refers to the parish of Castletownbere which is just over 100 miles from Mitchelstown.

The 1911 census return says that Hannah Sullivan and Patrick Donoghue have been married for 30 years. The closest marriage I could see for Mitchelstown Registration District is 1877 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY7C-82F. There are matching references for a Hannora Sullivan. Can't be sure though that this is the right one.

The only death I can see for a James Sullivan around this time in Mitchelstown is in 1876 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR1M-TNG.