Author Topic: O'Donnell in Donegal  (Read 6370 times)

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
O'Donnell in Donegal
« on: Tuesday 24 January 12 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm trying to find anything on a Matthew O'DONNELL and wife Elizabeth - Marriage, deaths, anything -

Their daughter Sarah was born circa 1800/1815 -
Sarah married circa 1830/35 in Ireland and her birth is a guess going by immigration records which aren't always accurate, her age in 1854 was given as 39 - Her husband was born circa 1806 - both in Donegal - Also on her immigration records, her parents Matthew & Elizabeth O'Donnell - it looks like they were still living in 1854 - (Sarah's husband George CLENDINNING, has his parents[William & Fanny] but with 'both deceased' - Sarah's doesn't state that)

According to some writings written while they were still living; " the Clendinnings lived in the town of Pettego,which is mainly in the County Fermanagh, but extends across the Mill Stream into Donegal. The Clendinning family lived on the Donegal side in "the first house across the Mill Stream." 

I have found something from the Griffith valuation which looks like it might be Elizabeth O'DONNELL - mother of Sarah -
this was for 1857 - an Elizabeth O'Donnell was living at: Mill Street,Pettigoe         Templecarn     Donegal

I am hoping some one can help with this O'DONNELL family -

Many thanks from an O'DONNELL descendant in Australia

FA
(Char)
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell in Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, records from this period in Ireland are scarce, but you may be in luck!

Matthew O'Donnell married Elizabeth (sorry don't have access to surname) in 1798 Parish of Drumhome, Donegal (CoI), Matthews father was John O'Donnell

They had 3 children baptised at the same church, Mary (1805), Sarah (1809), Prudence(1811)

Drumhome Parish borders Donegal and Fermanagh and is less than 10 miles from Pettigoe so looks promising

Regards

Joe 
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, records from this period in Ireland are scarce, but you may be in luck!

Matthew O'Donnell married Elizabeth (sorry don't have access to surname) in 1798 Parish of Drumhome, Donegal (CoI), Matthews father was John O'Donnell

They had 3 children baptised at the same church, Mary (1805), Sarah (1809), Prudence(1811)

Drumhome Parish borders Donegal and Fermanagh and is less than 10 miles from Pettigoe so looks promising

Regards

Joe 
Hello Joe -
Well that does sound interesting and promising - Sarah bap/born 1809 ? sounds good - but of course I'm guessing the surname O'DONNELL would have been pretty common,
and Matthew and Sarah also well used names - I will try searching on the Mary and Prudence you found - perhaps they too came to Australia -
Is there a way for me to find the wife of that Matthew? Is it a pay to view thing?

Many thanks
FA
(Char)
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
placename query Ware Wane Wace ?
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I was having another look at the immigration records for Sarah and noticed something I hadn't noticed before (there are 2 documents, both hand written) -
For 'where born' George CLENDINNING has: Templecarn, Pettigo Co. Donegal on both docs, - for Sarah on both docs there is another word before Templecarn, Pettigo Co.Donegal - it looks like " Ware" or "Wace" or Wane" ??? On one doc it looks like it could be an 'M' but on the other the 'writer' has written an 'M' and it's soft and curvy - so I'm sure it's a 'W' but the other letters are squashed up and pretty hard to read -

Can anyone guess what that placename would be??

If needed I could attempt to attach said docs

Many thanks

FA
(Char)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Templecarn is the name of the Parish-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/templecarnproj.htm

Could the word for Sarah's entry be 'near'? you can post that portion of the document here for deciphering.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes the details are taken from a PPV site: http://donegal.rootsireland.ie/

Although O'Donnell is a common name in Donegal, Matthew is fairly unusual (at least in conjunction with O'Donnell in Donegal) apart from the marriage listed above I can find only one other Matthew O'Donnell marriage from Donegal,  and that's from 1920!

Mary seems a too common name to research, I can find a death of a Prudence O'Donnell in 1844 buried at Inishkeel Parish graveyard

Elizabeth O'Donnell is also a common name so difficult to research, the Elizabeth living in Petigoe I had a look for in the Civil death records which begin in 1865, but none fit time scale.

Regards

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 12 12:51 GMT (UK) »
George and Sarah Clendinning with their 8 Children left Ireland on 10.7.1854 on the ship Sabrina, they are from Templecarn, Pettigo, Donegal

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

then go down the page and click on SHIP's PASSENGER LIST, the go down the page to DIGITAL COPIES OF THE BOUNTY IMMIGRANTS 1838-96
THIS GIVES YOU THE LIST OF SHIPS

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
It says George age 46 and Sarag 39.

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Templecarn is the name of the Parish-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/templecarnproj.htm

Could the word for Sarah's entry be 'near'? you can post that portion of the document here for deciphering.

Attaching portions of the 2 doc

On each Sarah's husband is first - Sarah's is underneath his