Author Topic: middle name does it always point to a possible fathers name  (Read 4496 times)

Offline fallenleaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: middle name does it always point to a possible fathers name
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 January 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
HannaB.. i can sympathise ;D the times i have sat wondering who it was i am almost narrowed it down. My grandmother had a solictors letter that went with the agreement it gave the solicto.r. I always felt it had something to do with the solictor dont know why then when the recent census came on line i thought i would have a a look for the solictor and soon discovered he married a divorcee who maiden surname was that of my grandmothers middle name which was unsual.
Hewett. Alverstoke/gosport,Deptford..  Collier thornaby...

Offline Dave the Walrus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 January 12 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

Just to expand upon the point I made, I suspect my grandmother, on my father's side was illegitimate, as her marriage certificate, does not give her father's name. Her mother's surname was Wattie and my father was given this as his middle name, so he was Thomas Wattie Allan.

I have not delved too far into this, for reasons of delicacy, but my great grandmother, Jane Wattie was in domestic service, in London, when my grandmother was born and putting two and two together, I would postulate that the father may have been connected to the family that she was working for, or have I been watching too much of "Upstairs Downstairs".

Best wishes,

Dave
Rogers(Wiltshire)(Hampshire)
White, Long, Waterman (Hampshire)
Mabbutt(Wiltshire)
Orsman(Hertfordshire)
Minturn(Wiltshire)
Allan, Taylor(Aberdeenshire)

Offline Cronky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 January 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
In my family tree, there's an example of a middle name becoming linked to the surname in one generation, thereby creating an unusual and completely unique surname. Does that happen often?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 January 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

Just to expand upon the point I made, I suspect my grandmother, on my father's side was illegitimate, as her marriage certificate, does not give her father's name. Her mother's surname was Wattie and my father was given this as his middle name, so he was Thomas Wattie Allan.

I have not delved too far into this, for reasons of delicacy, but my great grandmother, Jane Wattie was in domestic service, in London, when my grandmother was born and putting two and two together, I would postulate that the father may have been connected to the family that she was working for, or have I been watching too much of "Upstairs Downstairs".

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave,
It happened more than you think. Life imitating art, or a true life basis for fiction? We'll never know.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline fallenleaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 January 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Dave  pinefamily correct it...
Mine would make a lovely fiction book ..  ;D
No you havent watched to much upstairs  downstairs ..
How wrong was i when i started out  i was under the impression that i was searching for a young serving girl.. Got a shock when i found gt-gran was a lot older than i thought..

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 January 12 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Fallenleaves, at least you got a middle name to work with. My maternal grandmother was born in the local destitute asylum, which provided a lying in hospital for single mothers. Her mother was a servant in a country household, and was dropped off there by her employer's wife. I'll never know, but my money's on someone in the household being responsible.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline fallenleaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Pinefamily  :( I am lucky in getting so far ..

Offline Dave the Walrus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi pinefamily and fallenleaves,

I have the surname of the family that my great grandmother was working for, so just out of interest I think I'll see if I can get anywhere, in that direction.

Best wishes,

Dave
Rogers(Wiltshire)(Hampshire)
White, Long, Waterman (Hampshire)
Mabbutt(Wiltshire)
Orsman(Hertfordshire)
Minturn(Wiltshire)
Allan, Taylor(Aberdeenshire)

Offline fallenleaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Good luck Dave :) Go for it im sure perhaps like me there will be a few suprises.