Author Topic: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly  (Read 30291 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find a birth/baptism entry for a John MCDERMOTT, who according to the 1871, 1881 and 1891 English Censuses was born in 1834/5 in Ireland.  In the 1891 Census he specifically states that he is from Kings County.
At some stage he is serving with the 11th Foot (the Devonshires) in Australia in the 1850's, and then after marrying a woman of Irish origin, Alice LOOBY, in 1857, he travels to England with her and his regiment before serving as a prison warder for at least 27 years until his retirement and return to Australia for the last 20 years or so of his life.
On his Australian death entry of 1910 his parents are given as "Peter and Mary"
If anyone can spot his birth/baptism in Ireland, I would be eternally grateful!
Very best wishes, keith

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERRMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
You would probably need a bit more detail to start a search of parish records - e.g. the town, townland or parish where your McDermott's lived, particularly since not all parishes have records back as far as the 1830s

Do you know what denomination your McDermott's were ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
I'm afraid I know no other details than the ones I gave in the introductory post.  Perhaps I'm not going to get very  far with this without more information...
regards, keith

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
The problem is that there a number of RC parishes in the area that dont have records back to the 1830s, and several of the Church of Ireland parishes records were lost in the civil war.

You could try RootsIreland (pay-website), but without a location or maiden name for Mary it might be difficult to prove or disprove any matches. There are several baptisms listed on the index of that website for the surname McDermott in the county around the right time that might be worth checking

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
Thanks for that advice, anyway.  Whenever a family ancestral trail ends up in Ireland from before the first part of the 19thC I imagine that it could easily go cold.  Will persevere, though, even if it costs a token or two...
keith

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 January 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

By juggling the paramaters on roots ireland there is just the one marriage showing for Peter  McDermott within the time frame (there were 2 in 1881), I can't quite get the spouses name without paying, it either starts with, or is Madge:

Church Marriage McDermott Peter 1820 Co. Offaly, wife's name begins with: Madge

And two baptisms with father's name: Peter, again I can't fathom the mother's name:

Church Baptism McDermott John 1832 Co. Offaly mother's name begins with: Marc

Church Baptism McDermott John 1837 Co. Offaly mother's name begins with: No

but as Shane said, it's all very tenuous.  Without further information on the family it will be difficult to prove or disprove these records.

regards,
brigyn

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 January 12 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Brigyn,
Thanks so much for making such an effort for me (not quite sure how you're "juggling the parameters"), and thus it looks as though I'll need to scrape some money together and bite the bullet, or whatever metaphor throws up the answer to these tantalising questions! Perhaps as I have great expectations about this particular family line, the mother's maiden name in 1820 will turn out to be Madgewick...(not even sure how Dickens spelled this character's name, either)
keith

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Could be Madonna ;)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Now, the Virgin Mary being involved would definitely call a full stop to the paternal line of enquiry!
keith