Author Topic: Snape  (Read 1850 times)

Offline sna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Snape
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the Snape family who lived in Birmingham.  In particular, John Edwin Snape born 1857, William Snape (his father) born 1824.  They both worked in the jewellery trade.  William's father was a John Snape (another jeweller) and this is where I am stuck.  John Snape married a Sarah Poolton or Sarah Fisher circa 1818.  John Snape does not appear on any Censuses and I can't find a death for him.  So I can't ascertain when he was born or who his parents were.  John and Sarah's other children were Mary Ann born 1821, Hannah born 1823, Sarah born 1829, Elizabeth born 1831, John born 1834, Richard born 1838 and Emma born 1840.  I can find no birth records for any of the female children. 
If anyone can help at all, I would be very grateful!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Snape
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Just to alleviate some questions which have arisen, who did John Edwin Snape marry?

Regards

Malky

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I suppose the obvious one is this:
John Snape Ch.1/9/1800/St.Phillips/parents:William & Hannah.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline sna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 12 11:53 GMT (UK) »
John Edwin Snape was married to a Sarah Jennings.

William Snape and Hannah did have a son, John Snape in 1800.  Unless I can find out the age of "my" John Snape, I cannot really accurately find out when he was born. I suppose he could have been born anywhere and not necessarily Birmingham and this is the dilemma.  The Parish Record for his marriage to Sarah Poolton in 1818 does say that he is a widower.  This would mean he was born before 1800 - but apparently mistakes were made on Parish Records and this could be the case here.  My only hope is finding someone who has this John Snape in their family tree!

Offline cloudberry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 22 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the Snape family who lived in Birmingham.  In particular, John Edwin Snape born 1857, William Snape (his father) born 1824.  They both worked in the jewellery trade.  William's father was a John Snape (another jeweller) and this is where I am stuck.  John Snape married a Sarah Poolton or Sarah Fisher circa 1818.  John Snape does not appear on any Censuses and I can't find a death for him.  So I can't ascertain when he was born or who his parents were.  John and Sarah's other children were Mary Ann born 1821, Hannah born 1823, Sarah born 1829, Elizabeth born 1831, John born 1834, Richard born 1838 and Emma born 1840.  I can find no birth records for any of the female children. 
If anyone can help at all, I would be very grateful!

Moderator comment: edited to add comment from cloudberry sent to the Moderating Team

sorry - yes new to this! I did want to send message re John Snape but wanted to get 'facts' right first!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 22 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat cloudberry  :)

'sna'  has not been on here since 2012 but may get a message to say that you have posted.

You have just quoted their original post so it is not clear whether you are trying to contact them or have a query on the post which we can try and help with
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk