Author Topic: Vanished - William H. Sharratt and Elizabeth M. Sharratt  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vanished - William H. Sharratt and Elizabeth M. Sharratt
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Trying to discover what became of husband and wife William Henry Sharratt & Elizabeth Moore Sharratt (m.n Wilson) who were married in Leigh in 1889.  After the  1901 census  I cannot find any trace of them. Without going into too much detail (for discretion's sake) there was possibly an unfortunate family 'event' that occured around this time and Thomas and Elizabeth may have gone their  seperate ways. Elizabeth, my g.g. aunt, was born in 1870 to Robert & Mary Jane Wilson in what was then Sutton Oak. Are divorce records kept in similar fashion to BMD's? All help appreciated.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vanished - William H. Sharratt and Elizabeth M. Sharratt
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Searching the free 1911 census there is an Elizabeth Moore born Sutton Oak c1870 living in Warrington district. Wonder if this is her?

Elizabeth and William were living in the same district in 1901

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mabel, what a spot! Have looked at a copy of the original census form on Ancestry. All the details add up: Sutton Oak, date of birth, and number of years married (21 if we consider that the 22nd year has not yet been completed at the time the census was taken). Surely too much of a coincidence. But why no Sharratt as surname? Not a typo, I don't think. It's one thing to spell a name incorrectly, but quite another to omit it completely. Wonder where hubby was. Maybe simply out of the house when census was taken. Certainly a great deal of food for thought. Will keep you posted. Many thanks.

Regards

Doddie

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 12 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if WilliamHenry Sharrat aooears elsewhere in the census?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
If you've seen the original you've seen the 5 year old child. She does appear to have been registered as a Moore- sadly LancsBMD do not have mmn for this birth.

I wonder if the lodger has something to do with matters, as Elizabeth Moore appears to marry her lodger Thomas Upton in 1918

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have an Olive Moore, born in  Warrington district for the March quarter for 1906 in their tree. Or alternatively does anyone know who her mother Elizabeth married in 1889/1890. I  am utterly convinced that Elizabeth Moore is also Elizabeth Moore Sharratt. I keep on coming back to this issue every now and then and because the details on the census form match those of Elizabeth Moore Sharratt almost identically I am convinced they are one and the same. Heeeeelp, please.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for Shorts and have found them occasionally entered as Sharratt.   Perhaps you
look under that name?  Sandra

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 January 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra, took your advice and checked under Shorts (as well as other spelling 'versions'). On Ancestry the only likely entry I have come across so far is a death in the Dec. quarter of 1914 for a William Scarrott in the reg. district of Warrington. On face value  the surname is not too wildly incorrect with regard to spelling/pronounciation. The only fly in the ointment is that when I went to crosscheck the entry with records on both FreeBMD and LancashireBMD there was no such record listed on those sites. I usually find that at least the LancashireBMD records correspond quite accurately with those on Ancestry. Would appreciate your opinion and those of others.

Regards

Doddie

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 January 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
They've not crept up to the sharratts in tamworth have they? My lot are fazeley area and there are loads of them. I have in the past seen one lot next door to my lot. I think it was the prestolee lot of sharratts.