Author Topic: EvANS FAMILY LLANGELER  (Read 16708 times)

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
EvANS FAMILY LLANGELER
« on: Friday 13 May 05 11:01 BST (UK) »
HI
looking for samuel evans  shoemaker wife mary, daughter mary aged 6-7 years. 1844 when mary was born living penddol llangeler think this is a dwelling .
Does anyone know of a book written on the evan's of llangeler i sort of remember reading that a book had been written.
Theses Evan's of Llangeler are becoming difficult..... Mary Evans marries Samuel Evans 1835-1844 llangeler they have a daughter names her Mary Evans she on goes and marries Samuel Evans in  Llangeler around 1864!  :o
cheers cardiff
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: EvANS FAMILY LLANGELER
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 05 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help with the book, but  have you got  them in the 51 census?

I found them in the 1851 census,  it's small population of an area so  I didn't have much of a  problem finding them.

Anyway, if you haven't got it, here it is:

House/street address  Penddol (next door neighbour but one  down the page there is house/street address which reads Penygraig, so that may help too, and further up is  a house/street address called Danygraig)

Samuel Evans, head, age 34(or it could possibly be 36, there is a line going through the age - it looks like 34 to me), shoemaker, Born in Cardigan LLanw"""( can't make out the rest of the letters after "W")
Mary, wife, age 36, Carmarthenshire Llangeler
Mary, daugh, age 6, ditto
Daniel, son,age  4, ditto
Sarah, daug, age  2 , ditto
Evans or maybe Evan? ( it is written as Evans, perhaps they haven't named the baby yet and the enumerator wrote the  Evans surname for his name, or perhaps it should be Evan and he added an S) , son,   it's either 6 months or 6 weeks( hard to read) , ditto
John Evans , relationship to head  is "App" , age 13,  occupation apprentice, B Carmarthenshire somewhere, can't read where in Carmathenshire he was born, it's not LLangeler though, looks like it starts with either an M or a P, and ends with a ne

Source census of Llangeler,  Ho107/2482 , parish registration district Kenarth 1 enumeration district 8a
Crown copyright.

Best wishes :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 05 07:48 BST (UK) »
hi Cell
 Thank you so much this is a great help I can see just a flinch of light at the end of the tunnel.
 Do you have the 1861 census for this area....Any chance of looking up the same family 10years later That would be even more helpful.
Thank you once again.
cheers cardiff ;)

Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 05 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, no problem  :)

1861:

living in the parish of Llangeler again
house address is different in 1861, it is something Bridge (bridge is the second word).  First word is Allt(etoafais?)  definitely - begins with Allt - the eafais in the word is just what it looks like and probably not spelled like that at all lol ;D. I don't know if I'm allowed to  post the image of just the address to see if anyone else can make out this word , due to copyright issues of posting  census images. (?) But if anyone else has the 61 census perhaps they can make out that word.

( 1851 must be wrong Birth place for him or the wrong one for his wife - as the 1861 one says it's his wife that was born in Cardigan and not him - It's "do" for him  - the next door neighbour was born there, and the enumerator has written " do"  for Samuel's birth place indicating he was born there too

Samuel Evans, head, 45, shoemaker, B  Carmarthen Llangeler
Mary, wife, 48, shoemakers wife, B Cardigan
( can't make out where -looks like Llanarth to me)
Daniel, son, 14, shoemaker, B carmarthen Llangeler
Sarah, dau, 11, do daughter  "     "
Evans Evans , 9, do son,         "      "
Anne, dau, 7,  do daughter,     "    "
Anna, dau, 6, do daughter,       "    "

Looks like Mary has moved out, perhaps she married before you thought, or it's probably more likely that she has gone into service like a lot of young women do at around that age 16, 17. If she is a maid/in service somewhere she'll be a bit hard to find when she is not with her family members  to make the right connection - too many people called  Mary Evan's about

source RG9/4180, folio 24 page 8
sub reg district Kenarth
reg district Newcastle In Emlyn
parish of Llangeler
crown copyright

1871 below - may sort  the birth places out a bit, their ages keep altering by just a few years for the husband and wife  :):

Samuel Evans, head,52, shoemaker (master), B Llangeller carmarthenshire
Mary, wife, 55, born Llanwenog cardiganshire
Evan
(no S in this census), son, unmarried, age 20,shoemaker (journeyman), B Llangeller
Anna , daug, unmarried, 16, shoemakers daugh, B Llangeller

source Rg10/5543, folio 123, page 22
Civil parish Llangeller
Sub reg district Kenarth
reg district Newcastle in emlyn
crown copyright
village or hamlet wlad (?)

I can't make out the dwelling/house address in 71  but it's different again  - it's not something Bridge like in 61, so looks if they have moved houses again. Henfeyn, Cenfeyn?? Haven't a clue what it says first letter could be a C or a H, or something completely different to that

Hope that is of some help :)

P.S also found  Mary the wife in 1881 , she is widowed, born  Llanwenog, Cardigan, living with her son Evan, and  the  next oldest daughter Sarah in Penbont ( this is a dwelling address) in Llangeler

The ref is RG11/5431 folio 21 ,page 4 

If you search on the LDS to find her in this census , search for Mary 1816, b  Cardiganshire, residence carmarthenshire,you'll find her.

When you look at this  transcribed census on the LDS  site it says Evan (shoemaker) is 39, ignore this age - On the actual image it is clearly written as age  29 for him -the LDS have mistranscribed his age ,the 2 as a 3.  Sarah on the image has 34 written next to her, then the enumerator has crossed this out and has written 31 above the crossed out 34
Other than that ,what the LDS's have transcribed on their site  is what it says on the  image for 1881.

Also if you go to the previous household on the LDS site , where it has two heads both called John Jones - this is incorrect; The next door neighbours  are just John Jones and Margaret ( the bottom two on that list) and it's an inn/pub  called" Plaspark"" Inn" - the other 3  Jones above them on that Page are in a separate household  just before the Jones in the "plaspark" " Inn  ,the other Jones's dwelling is called Crosshands

So in 1881 your Evans are living next door to a pub  which looks like it is called Plaspark""(it looks like two letters after the K- the word is a bit scribbled, but it could be just Plasparke as the dwellings up the road a bit are called parke). This may narrow it down to the exact location of their home if that pub is still there today.

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 05 09:22 BST (UK) »
Well......
 Cell what can I say what a trooper! ;D
Thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort.
Regarding Mary Evans daughter she married in 1866 to a Samuel Evans I have that marriage certificat.
 I will now look up the 1881 census and track them down, and look into the place names you have given me. Having been to llangeler there is no pub there today , but the church still stands proud and the Evans family all buried in the church yard.
Yet again thank you so much.
cheers cardiff

Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 04:37 BST (UK) »
No problem.

Have you looked at the map  of Llangeler on old maps site , there is a pen-y- graig on the map right at the bottom of the image ( in 51 their near neighbours were in penygraig, can't see a Danygraig on there though - their other neighbours. They were sandwiched in between these two places in 51 when they were listed as in a dwelling/place called  Penddol)

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/gazetteer/10carma451/10carma451gazL.htm
 :)

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 07:41 BST (UK) »
 Hi Cell
Thanks for the web site... and your input
cheers cardiff

Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a book written on the evan's of llangeler i sort of remember reading that a book had been written.
Three books about Llangeler, but don't know about any books about Evans and Llangeler.

1. REES, James Derfel.  Gwrando’r gair. Hanes eglwys annibynnol Siloh, Llangeler a rhai pregethau. [With plates, includ  1945  4716.aa.5. 
2.  JONES, David,  Hanes Eglwys Annibynol Saron, Llangeler. [With plates.]  1937  4716.a.39. 
3.  JONES, Daniel E.,  Hanes plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr; traethawd buddugol yn Eisteddfod Drefach-a-Felindre, Awst 18, 
Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 January 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I'm new to Rootsweb - even though not new to researching my family.  Please let me know if you are still looking for any information on the Evans' of Llangeler.    I am a 3x great grand-daughter to Samuel & Mary Evans from Llangeler.

Samuel EVANS b. 1817  d. 1878 and Mary (nee EVANS) b. 1815  d. 1885 (married 28th Dec 1841) Mary's address at time of marriage was Pen-y-ddol and Samuel Evans was Wynllan, both places in the parish of Llangeler.  Mary's father was shown as Evan Evans , Labourer and Samuel's father as Benjamin Evans, also labourer.   (1841 census shows that Evan & Anne Evans were living in Tycam; and Benjamin & Sarah Evans were living in Winllan both places in Llangeler).  Samuel and Mary were still in the Penddol area of Llangeler in 1851, but they had moved to Penpont Alltcafan by 1861;  Their daughter:

Mary b.1845  d. 8th Mar 1924 (married on 12 Feb 1866 to) Samuel EVANS b.1845 d. 30th Jun1923 (his parents were Daniel & Martha Evans and in 1841 lived in Cwmcerrig area of Llangeler).
Mary & Samuel (b.1845) lived at Blaenllain, Llangeler and at that time Samuel was a gardener and was also a Sexton at Llangeler Church).  Their son
Evan Evans b.1871 (married 25th Jun 1889) Sarah (nee JAMES) b.1872
(her parents were David JAMES & Anne (nee JONES) of Typoeth, Llangeler)

Evan & Sarah EVANS' daughter Annie Mary Evans married James JONES in 1915 and they were my granparents.

PS - Plasparke (the pub) is in Pentrecwrt or Pentrecourt as the old spelling - (which is in the Llangeler parish but about a mile or so from Llangeler itself)

Does this mean you are related to me and the hundreds of EVANS', JONES', JAMES' & STEPHENS' and a lot of other common welsh surnames? 

With best wishes
;D
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn