Author Topic: TRAYNOR, Patrick (died Bray in 1866)  (Read 5869 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TRAYNOR, Patrick (died Bray in 1866)
« on: Friday 03 February 12 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

One set of my great-great-grandparents is Patrick Traynor/Trainor and Ann Kerwin.  Several of their children were baptised in the Holy Redeemer in Bray but one of their children, Bridget, was baptised in Kilmacanogue on 13 Aug 1825 according to documents I have seen.  In any case, I have not been able to find a marriage record for them.

Then I met someone who was also researching the Traynor family and she said that there was a record for a Patrick Trenor and an Ann Kerevan in Tinahely, Wicklow on 9 July 1821.  Perhaps this is the same couple; perhaps it's not.  Do you know a way in which I could establish a link or rule them out?

Incidentally, I recently came across a record online for a Patrick Traynor who died in 1866 and was buried in St. Peter's, Little Bray but have not been able to find a civil certificate of the death (I haven't checked with the church yet).  I assume that the death certificate would say where Patrick was from originally...

What say ye?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: TRAYNOR, Patrick (died Bray in 1866)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 12 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, I recently came across a record online for a Patrick Traynor who died in 1866 and was buried in St. Peter's, Little Bray but have not been able to find a civil certificate of the death (I haven't checked with the church yet).  I assume that the death certificate would say where Patrick was from originally...

Death certs dont show place of birth - see :

Details included on a Death Cert

In 1825 Kilmacanogue would have been part of the parish of Bray.

Previous post for reference : RC Parish Marriage Records for Ivory/Kelly and Traynor/Kerwin

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't sure if to start a separate posting or continue the older one so I started a new one...

Yes, Shane, you're right: I forgot that Kilmacanogue was part of Bray parish back then.  I actually have the record for the Kilmacanogue baptism from the Holy Redeemer so it makes sense.

But my question is really more about establishing or excluding a link with Tinahely and Kilmacanogue/Bray and what would be a way to do that given the appearance of a marriage record for a very similarly named couple (Patrick Trenor and Anne Kerevan) in Tinahely.   A question that occurs to me is: Is it possible they might have moved such a distance in those days? 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
The combination of names would make it quite likely that it's the same couple. It's not as if these are very common Wicklow surnames like Byrne or Doyle, where it would be possible that you could find a 'duplicate couple'.

You could try following baptisms for their children to confirm that the the Tinahely couple vanish from that area... maybe even find a child or two in the parishes on the way up to Kilmacanogue

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
The combination of names would make it quite likely that it's the same couple. It's not as if these are very common Wicklow surnames like Byrne or Doyle, where it would be possible that you could find a 'duplicate couple'.

Good point.  I think that Traynor is originally an Ulster name and Kerwin may be a Wicklow name, but not as common as Byrne or Doyle which would be more nightmarish  :)

You could try following baptisms for their children to confirm that the the Tinahely couple vanish from that area... maybe even find a child or two in the parishes on the way up to Kilmacanogue

Sounds like a very good strategy especially since I have an idea of where and when they were married. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 12 19:33 GMT (UK) »
It may not be a definitive origin for your Traynor line, but MacLysaght shows north Leinster/south Ulster roots for the surname :

Traynor/Trainor/Treanor - MacThréinfhir (tréan-strong fear-man),
   Well known Oriel name is sometimes anglicized more
   phonetically as McCrainor, but with the more usual
   form Traynor, the mac is obsolete.

Oreil equates roughly to counties Monaghan and Louth.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 February 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot, Shane.  Monaghan and Louth.   It nearly begs the question of how someone from Ulster/Northern Leinster ended further down in Wicklow.  Perhaps his family were dislodged following the Ulster Plantation.  But I suppose that's another story...

Offline greenoaktree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 21 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also a descendant of the Traynor family of Little Bray.  Most of the early records for Little Bray and for this family are actually in Dunlaoghaire (then Kingstown) Parish records.  It is because Little Bray, being in Old Connaught, fell under Dublin division I think. So, you will find many of their records in Dunlaoghaire. Patrick who died in 1866 was only 4 years old when he passed after an accident. He was the son of John Traynor of Little Bray.
Hope this helps now