Author Topic: WW1 Deserter Repatriation 1946  (Read 766 times)

Offline Wexyuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Deserter Repatriation 1946
« on: Friday 03 February 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not putting this in a more specific topic but it covers many.

I am researching for a friend who is the natural son of a man who deserted from the British Army in 1920 while based in Salonica / ka.  His was traced to Yugoslavia and repatriated to the UK.  The Protecting certificate is dated 05.12.1946.  He spent most of the late 1910s / early 1920s in Macedonia.

It would appear that a young lady came back with him and had a son in February 1947 (the man I'm researching for).  The woman was apparently born on 7th May 1922 and died in 1990.  Her death is registered as "Annie Simon" and on the birth certificate of the child her former name is given as "Skipton".  Annie was also known as Anny or Amy.

She was hospitalised soon after the birth of the son and stayed in facilities until her death.  He was adopted.

There is a lot of conflicting information about her background but she certainly could have been Yugoslav.

My main question is about the re-patriation and what records there may be about how he was brought back to the UK and whether this would give any information about anyone with him.

They never married as he married someone else pre-WW1.

One story said they had been in an Italian Labour Camp and that she had been mistreated to the point of torture.  There seem to have been many camps in  Yugoslavia during WW2 and as I don't know her ethnicity it possible she was in a concentration camp. 

Really vague I know but I'm just clutching at straws here that someone might know something about repatriation etc.

Thanks in advance,

Clare

P.S.  Feel free to ask for more info but I don't have much!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Deserter Repatriation 1946
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
and stayed in facilities until her death

What facilities - an institution of some kind?  Her son should be able to apply for info from the records which would show whether she was foreign by birth

Who reported her death?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Wexyuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Deserter Repatriation 1946
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thanks for the reply.  All the information he has came from a doctor at the hospital.  The information they had came from her "husband" and I think needs to be regarded with caution.  Her death was registered by the institution.

She was apparently born in the US of UK parents but had Norwegian and Yugoslav links.  She also spoke little or no English which makes me doubt the US / UK story.  I think they just wanted to get her out of where she was at the end of WW2.

She had mental health issues her whole life and was apparently blind in one eye through injuries she received while in the labour camp.

Thanks,

Clare