Author Topic: Abbey Church of St Peter  (Read 6398 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbey Church of St Peter
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure I have the correct board. I googled "Ann Gawen" and "Isaac Bush" and up came one site on Google Books and which does not open up for me. It was called "History and Antiquaries of St Peter......."
I wondered if it was St Peter and St Paul in Bath which is why I am on this board.
Ann was the wife of a William Gawen and apparently Isaac had a wife named Frances.
Is anyone please able to tell me exactly what the entry says as I thought Isaac Bush married Ann Gawen but perhaps not!
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline em

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ABBEY CHURCH OF ST. PETER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 05:48 GMT (UK) »
On freebmd I found William Gawen and Ann Dowding married in the December 1853 quarter - Westbury.

Regards

em
bristol:  cleeve;  beese
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Em,
Thank you for your reply - I have actually found out a little more. It was Anne, daughter of Isaac and Frances Bush who married William Gawen.
Anne died in 1659.
The St. Peter it seems was St. Peters, Westminster, which must be Westminster Abbey/
Isaac Bush is apparently commemorated in the abbey, he was a royal courtier and is styled Isaac Bush of Dolwen, which is in the top of Wales.
There was more I could see that was tantalising and I could not open it up. It gave the wife of Isaac as Frances, and mentioned her parents but as I could not see the rest so do not know what other information it contains.
Perhaps someone can open up the document - the best results I got by googling :-
"isaac bush" "william gawen" westminster
Up came 5 sites all involving these people which my trusty but ancient computer would not open. They took too long and gave up as sometimes happens with those big archival sites.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 12 08:52 GMT (UK) »
 Son of William Qamen^ of Westminster (second son of Thomas Gawen, of Bristol), by
Anne, only dau. of Isaac Bush (see his burial 30 Dec. 1641), by Frances his wife (see her burial
9 Sep. 1641), The Mar. Lie. of the parents was issued by the Dean and Chapter of West-
minster, 8 Sep. 1634. A monumental inscription in the Cloisters states that the mother died 26
Nov. 1669, and was there buried, with five of her children, but no positive record of any of the
burials occurs in the Register, except of that of one daughter (see her burial, 14 Apl. 1650). See,
however, the burial of Edward CoveUy 30 June 1643, who was perhaps this child.

Try this for the link to the memorial tablet:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8Tk_AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA292&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U0tQZxpzu-0FHN2fy6l_1R4XA91tw&ci=533%2C422%2C308%2C228&edge=0

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Peter,
Many thanks for your reply. I have been unable to open the other sites because they are big ones and I hate to admit that I am still on dial-up which is rather primitive.
It is the Bush family who are of interest to me and Isaac is a relatively unknown quantity. He is of interest because he is styled Isaac Bush of Dolwen.
Any family who married into them is also of interest.
The Bush family originally came from Wales and was named Deulwyn with variations of Daulwyn/Daylwyn and possibly Dolwen.
One of our direct line is Ieuan Deulwyn, a bard of Glamorgan in the late 1400's.
Isaac is one of my wider Bush family and his coat-of-arms also fits ours.
I have become interested in the north of Wales where there is a place called Dolwen and also a cottage named Deulwyn.
It appears that my Ieuan Deulwyn also had links with North Wales as he apparently had a daughter named Elin born in Anglesey.
Any knowledge of Isaac Bush is of interest as to where he fits into the puzzle and his link with Dolwen.
Many thanks
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline David Cypher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin, not sure that I am replying  correctly, as I am new to this site, but I am decended from the Bushs' on my mum's side. Her family resided in Wrington, Somerset. Any link to the Dewlyn/Bush tree that you are researching?

Kind regards,

D.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
David,
Yes David, Wrington in Somerset is certainly one of the places my Bush family were from.
I am in New Zealand and am in constant contact with another of my Bush cousins who lives in the same city as I do and he has a lot of information about the Bush's from Wrington. They are on his particular line.
I am sure they will be of the same line - after all how big would Wrington have been to have had unrelated people of a name as unusual as Bush.
Our family has been reseached thoroughly by several very knowledgeable people on the same line who have been to the universities who hold the actual history, studied the Wiltshire notes and all the relevant documents. They are very thorough and do not claim any of the history until it is proven beyond doubt through actual documents.
The family originally came from Carmarthenshire, Wales in the 1400's to Dylton in Wiltshire, they were in the cloth business. The name was Deulwyn and was then anglicised to Busshe, then Bushe and finally Bush.
Paul Bushe was the first Bishop of Bristol being appointed by King Henry V111.
His parents were William Busshe and a Miss Strange and her coat-of-arms prove she was descended from the very noble family of le Strange of Knockyn in Shropshire - google them and see how well recorded they are!
All our Bush lines come from John Bushe, the brother of Paul Bushe, John married Elizabeth Ffernefolde of Steyning in Sussex.
Our Deulwyn family of Carmarthenshire go back to Cadwgan Fawr ap Cadwgan and his wife Alice Cydifor and she was descended from the kings of Wales through her mother's line. Cadwgan goes back to the very early kings of Dyfed.
The Queen is descended from Cadwgan and Alice through the Queen Mother's line.
Another well recorded line from Carmarthenshire is the Rede line with Cecily Rede (Ryd) and her father Thomas Rede being pivotal ancestors. The father of Thomas, another Thomas Rede, was one of the two top early international traders and was involved with the skirmishes of the Welsh Owain Glyndwr - the grandmother of Owain was Elizabeth le Strange, another of the le Strange line of ours I mentioned above.
if you send me a private email I will forward you my Bush history so that you will have the early bits and I can then forward your email to my cousin for the Wrington bits and establish exactly where your line fits in.
My Bush line came to New Zealand with Sarah Bush who married John King and emigrated in the 1840's, there was a family row of some sort so some of us are Bush (me), some are King and some are Bush-King.
I look forward to hearing from you on a private email and will be able to send you heaps of stuff on all our lines.
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline David Cypher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin, you can contact me on:

Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please pass such information by Personal Message (PM). Newcomers might have to post three times to enable the PM facility.

My Grandfatrher was Ivan Bush (b 1913), and his father was Isaac Bush who was married to Eleanor Forde...hope this helps. I believe Isaac's father was Thomas Bush.

I look forward to hearing from you.

David.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 June 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
David,
Am also replying to you on a private email, the name of Thomas is one that follows down tbhrough the centuries in our Bush line,
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach