Author Topic: Francis Pember of Norton Canon, early 1800s  (Read 2389 times)

Offline BabaAndrew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Pember of Norton Canon, early 1800s
« on: Monday 06 February 12 05:52 GMT (UK) »
I would be most grateful if anyone could share any information regarding Francis Pember of Norton Canon, who would have been born in the late-1700s and had children in the early-1800s.

I believe that Francis Pember may well have been my 4xGt-Grandfather, but am trying to find information to confirm this.

According to census records, my 3xGt-Grandafther Henry Pember was born in Norton Canon in about 1816.  They further indicate that his youngest daughter Ann Pember (b. abt 1855) was living with her uncle John Pember in 1861.  John Pember, who was presumably Henry's brother, was born in about 1803, also in Norton Canon.  A search of www.familysearch.org returned a John Pember, baptised in Norton Canon on 19 August 1804, son of Francis and Mary Pember.

Francis Pember apparently married Mary Smith in 1795 and they had the following childen - Mary (abt 1798), Ann (abt 1801), John (abt 1804) and Sophia (abt 1806).  Francis perhaps re-married, as a Francis and Elizabeth Pember of Norton Canon had a child Harriot (abt 1810).  However, I can find no record online of Henry Pember born in about 1816 in Norton Canon.

While there is an entry on the parish registers for a Henry Pember baptised on 5 October 1817 at Mansel Gamage, son of Henry Pember (b. abt 1777), I am not convinced that this is the right Henry.  This one did have a brother John, but this John was born in 1818, so does not match the aforementioned census record. Also, while Henry Pember (b. abt 1777) was a farmer employing labourers, at Shutton Farm at Mansel Gamage, and Henry (b. abt 1817) was his eldest son, my 3xGt-Grandfather was a Cooper and lived in Bodenham.  As such, this does not seem to match...

Any help shall be greatly appreciated!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Pember of Norton Canon, early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of Francis Pember to Mary Smith 14th August 1795 Norton Canon
Francis Pember christened 25th september 1796 - Norton Canon
parents Francis Pember / Mary
www.familysearch.org
francis pember
life events - ANY
Norton Canon,Herefordshire
search
2 records show as stated above...lucky you
allan ;)
ADDED...for the record, the earliest record in Norton Canon for Pember is
John Pember marriage to Margarette 4th August 1670...so thearetically you may be able to work backwards from Francis Pember who marries Mary Smith with a little luck
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline BabaAndrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those references! :D

Offline BabaAndrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 09:22 GMT (UK) »
...so would Francis christened 1796 likely be the first child of Francis and Mary?

Is there anything on when Francis (senior) himself was christened?

Best regards

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Baba...I see you`re online...
it looks like Francis b 1796 was their eldest child...I have just looked in Norton Canon for Francis Pember and Mary Smith christenings , but I got no results..
my ancestors were from Norton Canon for over 200 years ..I have visited Norton Canon and have to let you know that there are many little villages around Norton Canon and quite often in my family the man went to another village to marry / have first child / and then come back to Norton Canon ....I am going over to another site where I have a link to Norton Canon...back soon
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 12 10:07 GMT (UK) »
As they appear...children of Francis and Mary christened in Norton Canon
John Pember 19th august 1804
Sophia Pember 6th july 1806
Ann Pember 3rd May 1801
Mary Pember 7th October 1798
FRANCIS PEMBER 25th September 1795
allan