Author Topic: JONES family of Foxhall, near Oswestry, 1841/1851.  (Read 14742 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
JONES family of Foxhall, near Oswestry, 1841/1851.
« on: Monday 06 February 12 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

Looking for the JONES family of Oswestry, Shropshire. (Yes, I know.....)

John JONES, farmer of Foxhall, near Oswestry
Elizabeth JONES, wife
Thomas Jones, son, born 1826/7
Andrew Jones, son
Catherine Jones, youngest child, born Dec1833/Jan 1834
eleven other children - names unknown - possibly one is Richard?

Some children had emigrated to Australia by 1851, after their father's death.
John JONES was elected a burgess with the Oswestry Town Council.

Thanks in advance
Nudge
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: JONES family of Foxhall, near Oswestry, 1841/1851.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi nudge67

I have found Foxhall in 1841 and 1851 where Richard Leigh b 1806 Farmer and wife Eleanor b 1811 plus servants appear in both years and unfortunately the Jones family did not leave a forwarding address ;D

So I have tried to look for a Jones family that might possibly match some of your criteria and the closest I came was ..................

1841 H0107 1441 Bk2 F7 Pg6 - Civil Parish Llanfechan - Address Tyncha?
John Jones 45 Farmer
Elizabeth 40
Elizabeth 15
John 15
Thomas 15
Richard 13
Margaret 10
Martha 8
Catherine 7
Elen 5
Mary 2
NOT BORN IN COUNTY

Cannot find them together in 1851 but did come across this ...........................

1851 H0107 1993 612 50 - Civil Parish Oswestry - Address Sheff or Shelf Bank Cottages
Elizth Jones Head widow 48 Wootton Shrops - Farmer (small)
Ellen daugh 15 Wootton
Mary 12 Wootton
John Thomas Nephew 13 Wootton
/
Rich Hopkins Bro? mar 45 Wootton - Out of Business
/
Alexander Edwards unmar 52 Oswestry - Retired Wine Merchant

Could be something and nothing but thought it worth a mention.

All the best

Z :)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Z.

I am descended from Catherine Jones, who emigrated to South Australia in 1858, and married Thomas Edwards from Oswestry. Catherine's brother Thomas married her husband's sister, Elizabeth. Any sign of Catherine in the 1851 census? She was born in Oswestry.

Interesting the appearence of the name Hopkins as a brother? one of Catherine's sons was Andrew Hopkins Edwards.

Cheers
Nudge

PS. where is Llanfechan? or Tyncha?
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning nudge67

I have tried to look for a Catherine, Cathryn, Kathryn, Cath, Cathy etc etc  in 1851 but so far I have drawn a blank??? there does not appear to be anything obvious for her, either the age is not quite right or the birthplace does not seem to tie up although there is this one but I am not 100% certain but just in case .............

1851 H0107 1994 245 22 - Civil Parish Ellesmere - Address Frimpley or Trimpley?
Eliza Birch Head unmar 33 Hollington Sussex - Governess
Ellen Burch/Barch 24 unamr London Middlesex Teacher
Ann Jebb unmar 19 Bagley Shrops - Pupil
Catharine Jones unmar 17 Oswestry - Pupil
Jane Oakley unmar 13 English Frankton - Pupil
Mary Shingle unmar 9 Sandford? - Pupil
Harriet Humphreys serv umar 20 Flintshire - House servant

Not quite sure whether this is a school or ?

Lllanfechan is in Montgomeryshire - a parish in the hundred of pool, county Montgomery, 3 miles East of Llanfyllin, and 8 SW of Oswestry, its post town .................... you will find a little more at www.genuki.org.uk

And just to add I came across this and think it worthy of a mention ..............................

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 08:41 GMT (UK) »
1871 RG10 2790 43 7 - Civil Parish Great Ness - Address The Grange
Andrew Jones Head mar 41 Oswestry - Retired Farmer
Rosina wife 36 Meifod Montgomeryshire
Rosina May Adelaide Jones daugh 4 Australia - in 1881 birthplace given as Adelaide
Bertha Adelaide Jones 1 Oswestry
plus servants

I cannot find anything obvious in earlier census but you mentioned an Andrew Jones in your first post and this was the only Andrew that appeared to meet some of your criteria - and interestingly using familysearch Andrew Jones married Rosina Roberts in Oswestry in 1862 and his father was a John Jones .................. I know a very very very common name but a possibility either to link or eliminate.

Hopkins also appears to be another possibility as using family search there are two marriages for a John Jones and Elizabeth Hopkins not sure whether they are one in the same as there is one on the 7th Jan 1822 and one on the 14th maybe someone could advise - perhaps just a coincidence and I am not sure whether this works within your timeframe but with a very common surname of Jones it maybe worth looking into.

Wishing you all the best with your research

Z :)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 12 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Z, great effort  ;D

yes, my Catherine was 17 on census night - I also know she was literate, so probably had some formal education. I seem to recall Ellesmere is not far from Oswestry.

am using family search now. easier to use under new format.

cheers
nudge

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 12 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Andrew JONES appears in BISA (Biographical Index of South Australians), but some of the info appears incorrect:

JONES Andrew
parents: Thomas & Elizabeth Elliott (actually his brother & sister-in-law)
died: 20.4.1872
buried: Great Ness, Salop, England
arrived (SA): by 1863
residence: Adelaide
married: Rosina
children: Andrew Ernest (c.1864-1864); Charles Desmond (c.1865-1865)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 12 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Further info: according to her marriage notice in October 1859, Catherine Jones was the fourth daughter of the late John Jones of Foxhall, Oswestry, Shropshire.

Also, her obituary in 1931 (she was 97) states that she was born at Foxhall, Shropshire, England, where her father, Mr. John Jones, was a large farmer. Upon his death two sons left for South Australia, starting a business as importers of farming implements. She came out to join them at age 23. She was the youngest of 13 children.

So I am not sure about here having younger sisters.   ???  She should have 9 brothers and 3 sisters, all older than here. Obviously, not all children may have survived to be recorded in a census.

Any further assistance greatly appreciated  :)

Offline bus4547

• RootsChat Extra
  • Keep Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Nudge67

Have a strong feeling your Hornsby of the 19th cent NSW has connections to my tree.   Could be way out but wortha go.

My Hornsbys of say 30 miles around Hereford connected to the area to at least 1600s, 1500s in and around Shipston/Stratford.    They were clans of basket makers in the main.
Let me know of your Hornsby NSW and other Hornsbys NSW
George went out on enforced vacation over a couple of hens, he was paroled and died at Parmetta 1863 (your original Sydney).
Charles went out there because he ws a little more adventurous!  He was tried at Oswestry.  Later pardoned and returned to continue his family raising at Kingsland or Kington, Heref.
Another clan son Charles, orig of Tenbury and Leominster, Heref.,  was a servant on a farm at Cleobury Mortimer, Oswestry,  and died Ludlow, Shrops., c1903.
If these don't fit would like to know of your NSW Hornsby(s) as may be an offspring connection. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Samuel Rawbone b Wellesbourne 1893 with wife Elsie lived Birmingham, poss, Smethwick, before war.
worked on buses and trams.  hve compiled Rawbone tree back to 1650 now into 20th cent.  current relatives?  sam ws my uncle.

2. Family of John Hornsby and Catherine b c1807 m c1830 Leominster/Pembridge/Eardisland. Basket makers. then Birmingham 1900s.