Author Topic: ROBERT STRANGE - MAYOR OF BRISTOL  (Read 3511 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBERT STRANGE - MAYOR OF BRISTOL
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Robert Strange was Mayor of Bristol in 1475, 1483 and 1490. He was an uncle of an ancestor of mine and I have tried for a long time to find out who his father was.
I have seen it on various sites as Thomas Strange of Bristol, born 1400 - he has a fabulous pedigree with ancestry from Catherine Camoys who was descended from many of the British and Scottish kings.
It would be lovely to claim Thomas and all his royal line. I have emailed many of the people who have his name on their websites to ask where they came by their information but not one has replied to me, therefore there is no way I can claim him without some form of proof.
I have also seen the name of John Strange of Cirencester also born in 1400 as the father of Robert Strange. John has been listed as Mayor of Cirencester but there was no mayor then although perhaps a merchant of the staple.
John of Cirencester was not a brother of Thomas of Bristol as his brother named John was born in 1387 and was married so did not die young.
This is a long way back but Robert Strange was quite a trail-blazer and I wonder if someone of the area has the information.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERT STRANGE - MAYOR OF BRISTOL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware of the illustration of him from 1478 from "The Maire of Bristowe Is Kalendar” ?

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 12 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi - yes, many thanks for this, I know he is one of the five main people portrayed in this painting. William Spencer has his hand on the bible and Robert is one of the other four. With so much about him recorded it is a shame that his parentage is not certain as it would help greatly with my ancestress and give her a certain line.
Many thanks
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline Jennifer Strange

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there "King William"

I am searching for my and my husband's ancestors, my Dad was born in Bitton, his Mother's maiden name was Bush. I am married to a Strange. There is mention of a Thomas Strange in 1415 in Cirencester. He was the guild master and was pardoned for taking part in the dispute between the church and the town over market tax, sometimes the church was given the right and sometimes the town. It's in the Gloucester records, I'll try to find the reference, it must be on a scrap of paper somewhere.
I estimate that Thomas must have been born about 1380?
I have also found reference of a John Strange of Cirencester paying tax and serving on some kind of jury, 1327 and 1337, if I remember rightly. That will probably be on another scrap of paper.
Hope this helps, although, of course, you may already know about this.