Author Topic: Tranent Churchyard  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Poppy10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tranent Churchyard
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Isabella SMITH died between 1861 and 1871 and William SMITH died between 1881 and 1891 at Tranent.  Can anyone tell me where I can get information of these burials please.
Poppy10

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy10,

if you go to Scotlands People and buy 30 credits for £7.00 there are four with her name and one match for William both Tranent.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Poppy10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Templar75

Thanks Archie for the look-up.  When I've got some more look-ups in this area I will purchase the credits.  I am wanting to find Isabella's GAVINE family.  On her marriage entry on 17 May 1842 in the Tranent register her father just gave the surname Gavine of Bruslain Mill which I think was in the Portobello area.  So I am stuck at the moment.

Poppy10

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy10,

you will find it as Bruntstane Mill which ground Corn and Flour it is actually situated at Eastfield which is about 500 yards from Joppa, Eastfield is just inside the border of Midlothian and the border between Eastfield and Musselburgh is divided by the Magdalene Bridge. ( See Attachment )

I was brought up in that area of Joppa in the sixties but there was no Mill there at that time, when it ceased production I have no idea, the Mill would have been built on an earlier Mill Site and would have been run by the Cistercian Monks.

I have placed an arrow pointing to the Mill and the other pointing to where the Cistercian Monks had a Chapel called St. Mary Magdalene.

The name Brunstane comes from the ancient name of " Burnt Stane " or Burnt stone.

I hope this helps a little bit for you.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy 10,

please excuse me if you have these already.

Cheers.

Archie.

1851 Census for Tranent

Address
No number the High Street Tranent ( North Side )

William Smith    35 Master Boot and Shoe maker born Tranent abt 1816
Isabella Smith    32 Shoemakers wife born Inveresk Musselburgh abt 1819
Isabella Smith    7 Daughter born Tranent abt 1844 Scholar
Adam Smith    6 Son born Tranent abt 1845 Scholar
Robert Smith    3 Son born abt 1848

1861 Census Tranent.

Same Address.

William Smith    45
Isabella Smith    42
The Son Robert is down as an Inmate at Stiells Hospital, this is not worded correctly as it was actually a School for the Poor and the Rich, he must have been sent here to get a better education as this had now become a Fee Paying Boarding School, at Hospital was used instead of School. The Poor children were thrown out.

Margaret Smith  9 Daughter born Tranent abt 1852 Scholar
David Smith      9  Son born Tranent abt 1852 Scholar ( Twins ) Scholar

1871 Census Tranent.

Same Address.

William Smith      54
Margaret Smith  19 Housekeeper

1881 Census Tranent.

Same Address.

William Smith       65   
Margaret Smith   29 In the 1891 Census Margaret seems to have vanished.

He must have passed away as he is not mentioned in the 1891 Census

I think this is Adam below, it seems he has left home and is in Haddington as a Grocers Assistant.

1861 Census for Haddington.

Thomas Mithcell    41
Williamina Mithcell    28
Margret Weddel    66
Archibald Strills    33
Adam Smith            17 he is down as a Boarder.

Offline Poppy10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
Templar75

Thank you Archie for the info regarding the Mill.  It is definitely down as Brustain in the Tranent parish marriage register so someone couldn't spell it correctly.  I'm wondering if Isabella's father didn't attend and she just gave his surname!  Isabella Gavine was resident as a servant at Dunse Castle on marriage but in 1841 I found her as Isabell Gavien.  I wish I could find her father in 1841, I wonder if he actually lived at the Mill.  I will try again giving the correct mill spelling.
I do have the set of censuses you gave me, but thank you for the extra little bits of info regarding the children, it colours it doesn't it.
I got David and Margaret from the IGI - David b abt 27 Nov 1851 ch 14 Dec; Margaret b abt 29 Nov 1851 ch 30 Dec but they must be twins surely.  Margaret, as you say, had disappeared by 1891 after father William had presumably died, maybe she got married at last !!
I shall hopefully print out the map you gave me when I've renewed my inks !!  ???
Poppy10 

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy 10,

I had some credits left and went on to Scotlands People, I tried searching for her at Inveresk and Portobello but nothing was found, if she was born at Inveresk it would probably be at a relations house this was the norm then perhaps her grandmother her mothers mother.

Can you scan the document you have and post it on here please so I can see if there is any clue, we have to watch the spellings of names as they very often vary to a great degree, this can put the best of investigators out with their searches.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy 10,

I know you have these  but the two boys have added middle names.

Adam

Isabella

Margaret

David Watson Smith

Robert Gavin Smith

I would say that perhaps one of the boys has Isabella's fathers name,  notice Roberts middle name I would say that " Gavin " is the proper surname, and David's middle name is a clue to possibly Isabella's mother or William's mother. It seems that they were members of the " Free Church " so I wonder if Isabella's family were the same if so maybe the records were lost.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy 10,

sorry to bombard you with all this but going by family names I wonder if this is your William Smith's birth, I know it's Gavin you are after so sorry again, as Williams father is mentioned as Adam and the mother Margaret then Adam is one of Williams sons, and they have a daughter Margaret, just a hunch.

I think the Gavin side is a lost cause.

Cheers.

Archie.