Author Topic: OWENS of Cornagleragh/Oldtown/Moynhall  (Read 2406 times)

Offline emanema

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OWENS of Cornagleragh/Oldtown/Moynhall
« on: Tuesday 07 February 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
has anyone any info on Owens in this area....possibly went to Anageliffe Church of Ireland.Have just started to look into family tree!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OWENS of Cornagleragh/Oldtown/Moynhall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. If you could give us an idea of names and dates and exactly what you are looking for we might be able to help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline emanema

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
OWENS-cornagleragh or Oldtown,Annageliffe
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 21:12 GMT (UK) »
all the bits I have gathered so far:
1901 census..william(35 yrs) (widower) lives with father Thomas(73 yrs) and mother Eliza(60 yrs) (nee Hall, married 01/06/1863 in St Thomas church of ireland ,Rathmore,Aughnacliffe,Co-Longford) and child Sarah (2 yrs)
1911 William married to Annie(38 yrs) (2nd marriage) with two more children Lizzie (2yrs) and Thomas (3 yrs)
....am assuming Thomas and Eliza deceased between 1901 and 1911 .Any information on williams two wives would be great.

Mary Owens is listed at Cornagleragh or Oldtown in Griffiths valuation, Annageliffe 1856-1857.I am hoping she is Thomas's mother so any info. about her husband /children would be a great help.

The only other bit of info I gathered of Owens in this area is listed in 1630 Muster roll for co-cavan .A William Ownes (NB different spelling) is listed in the entry for Rodger Moynes Esq (Barony of Loughty).The neighbouring townland to Cornagleregh is Moynhall.I wonder would this indicate that Owens came to this area during plantation from England/Scotland ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated .Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
For William's second marriage, there is a reference on FamilySearch to a William Owens getting married in 1907 and matching references for an Annie Rountree - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY8L-HT5.

His first wife must have died between around 1899 and 1901. The best match on FamilySearch is the death of a Jane Owens in 1900 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FT68-WY4.

In 1898 there's a record for a William Owens getting married -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYZD-KPT - and matching references for a Jane Fegan.

All speculative based on all events happening in Cavan and you'd have to order the certs to be sure the marriages are correct matches.

Offline bingo5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
I grew up in Moynehall and knew the Owens fami well. Thomas was  the father. i cannot remember his wife's first name but I think she was a Nixon. They had the following children that I knew:* aged about 56/57 now. He was the youngest . Others were *, *, *, * and *. * and * are living in England. I think * lives in Dublin. * was the last to leave. I think he lives in Co Meath now. He is married and has a number of children. The farm was bought out by Cavan Co Council a few years ago when they built the Cavan town bypass. I live in Dublin now but i will make enquiries to see if anybody has an address for any of the family. As far as i know the parents are buried in the Church of ireland graveyard in Cavan town.
You could try The Anglo Celt newspaper for mention of the family.

*Moderator Note: details of living/possibly living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please use PM (Personal Message) to exchange such recent information