Author Topic: Thomas Robinson & Jane King  (Read 7324 times)

Offline HomesteadMommy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Robinson & Jane King
« on: Thursday 09 February 12 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm working on the family of Thomas Robinson and Jane King.  If census records are right they are Scottish but their family's moved to Ireland at some point.  They always listed themselves as born in Ireland but Scottish origin.   Marriage date for Thomas and Jane would be abt 1820 biased on the oldest knot child Christopher.
The family shows up in Baillie, New Brunswick abt 1840 that is an estimated birth for daughter Eleaner and daughter Mary Ann Robinson married Alexander Gibson on  31 Dec 1843.

The only direct clue I have been able to find on what area of Ireland the family is from is a late filed birth record for Frank Leveritt Robinson, son of the John listed below.  It was filled out by Frank and his sister Mary and lists their father's birth place as Ballinamallard, County Fermanagh.  At least I think I'm reading the name right, the writing isn't the best.  This is the birth record, image online at Family Search.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0k5u/

I would love to hear from anyone working on this family or if you have any ideas for tracking them down in Ireland.

Thanks!

1- Thomas Robinson
b: about 1809, , , , Ireland
d: 22 June 1871, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada
+ Jane Alice King
b: about 1809, , , , Ireland
d: 27 February 1892, St James Parish, Charlotte, New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- Christopher Robinson
b: about 1821, , , , Ireland
d: 23 September 1895, Fredericton, York CO, New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- Mary Ann Robinson
b: about 1826, , , , Ireland
d: 26 November 1898, Marysville, York CO, New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- James Robinson
b: about 1828, , , , Ireland
. . . . 2- Elizabeth Robinson
b: about 1830
. . . . 2- John Robinson
b: June 1831, Ballinamallard, Fermanagh Co., Ireland
d: 21 September 1905, Marysville, York CO, New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- Margaret Robinson
b: about 1834
. . . . 2- Thomas Robinson
b: about 1838
. . . . 2- Eleaner Robinson
b: about 1840, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- George H Robinson
b: about 1842, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- William S Robinson
b: about 1844, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- Jane A Robinson
b: 1847, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada
d: 10 August 1864, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada
. . . . 2- Joseph Millen Robinson
b: about 1850, Baillie, St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Robinson & Jane King
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the image but doesn't look like Ballinamallard to me- more like Ballymalory (?)

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad shows details of townlands in Ireland. Searching for 'ballym' the closest is probably Ballymackilroy. Ballinamallard is under the spelling of Bellanamallard.

It could be that Thomas Robinson's ancestors came from Scotland several generations earlier. Canadian census records record the nationality of a person but that doesn't mean the person was born in the same country that their ancestors came from earlier.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HomesteadMommy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 12 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the image but doesn't look like Ballinamallard to me- more like Ballymalory (?)
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad shows details of townlands in Ireland. Searching for 'ballym' the closest is probably Ballymackilroy. Ballinamallard is under the spelling of Bellanamallard.

Goodness yes I agree it looks more like Ballymalory.  I had tried a while ago searching on the name and all I could find was references to Ballinamallard.

Yes I also think that the Robinson line had been in Ireland for some time.  I was in touch with another cousin descending from one of Thomas children who said the family had left Scotland about 400 years ago.  But who knows when it actually was.  I'd be thrilled to track them down in Ireland though.  I'll see if there is any online info for Ballymackilroy.  I unfortunately don't have access to a library right now.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
There won't be much online for Ballymakilroy itself- it's only a townland of 119 acres.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Offline HomesteadMommy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
There won't be much online for Ballymakilroy itself- it's only a townland of 119 acres.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Wow that's small! lol  Yes I've already read the links.  I have a few Irish lines I've worked on.  But they came to Canada or the USA a little bit later so the younger children's births were recorded in the Civil index.  It made them much easier to find.

Offline HomesteadMommy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I was looking on PRONI ( http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf )for the records for Ballymacilroy but I don't see a church listed for there.  Likely because it was so small?  Can anyone advise what the most likely place to look for church records for that area if they are surviving.  I looked under Aghalurcher in their users guild and there are a number listed.  They were not Catholic.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 12 19:59 GMT (UK) »
There won't be a church in every townland. Ballymakilroy is in the civil parish of Aghalurcher and Lisnaskea Poor Law Union/registration district.

If they weren't Catholic then the most likely religions are Church of Ireland, Methodist or Presbyterian.

Aghalurcher Parish Church (Church of Ireland) earliest records (local custody or Dublin)-
bapt.1867-1983, marr. 1845-1924, burials 1870-1927

Presbyterians don't always attend the nearest church and might be buried in the Church of England graveyard.

See here for sources for church records.

Offline HomesteadMommy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I went back and checked my notes they were Presbyterian.

Some info that I forgot to post in my first message.  While I have no info on the parents of Thomas Robinson, I do have some for Jane King.  I'm adding it in case it helps find a family connection one day.

Her father was John King born abt 1780 in Scotland, died 4 Oct 1854 St. James Parish, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada.
Her mother, Elizabeth Leeland born abt 1780 Ireland, died 1960 St. James Parish, NB.
Known siblings both died in New Brunswick.
Margaret King 1805 - 1866
Elizabeth King 1815 - 1841

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Another name for Ballymackilroy is Mullaghkeel. You can search for location of townlands on this site-
http://www.placenamesni.org/placenamesniviewer/map.phtml?