Author Topic: Topics with no Reply button  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Topics with no Reply button
« on: Friday 10 February 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering why certain topics do not have a Reply button. Having searched the FAQs  I see that this is normal for the Useful Links and For Sale / Wanted / Events boards. However, what puzzles me is why they still have a Notify button? Also, in the case of the Useful Links board, there are many which have had replies in the past. How can that be?

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Topics with no Reply button
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
RootsChat has evolved over time, but there are a few things which seem strange.  We've done a load of house-keeping over the years to try to keep things tidy.  :)

I can only think that the 'Notify' button is a relict of the time before the 'reply' button was removed from these topics.

The topics on the Useful Links board which have replies on them may not have originally been on the Useful Links board.  I think this board was created when it became obvious that so many members had found useful sites that they wished to share with fellow searchers.  Topics which had previously been on a variety of other boards were brought together on this one.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Topics with no Reply button
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Nell. That makes sense.

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)