Author Topic: Bambrough Family  (Read 10898 times)

Offline sne31

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bambrough Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 October 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello I can inform you that William Bambrough son of Margaret Newman went to New Zealand as a young man and married having two sons and a daughter Betty-Ann who lives in Christchurch and has three sons. John Bambrough son of William was murdered on the West Coast of the South Island in New Zealand and the other son named Gordon may still live in New Zealand. William Bambrough remarried but had no more children  he was the nephew of Robert Thompson Newman who also went to New Zealand in the 1920's. Hope this is helpful.

Offline ealdred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 October 12 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, he came to NZ though I don't/didn't know much about the details. What story i've heard is that apparently he had a work to pay for fare arrangment. When there was a strike he kept working because he was honoring agreement, and the unionists ran him & family out of town [apparently our family name is still disliked down there long after] which strain led to marriage breaking up, and both later remarried. There were only 2 surviving sons and 1 daughter but there were a few others who died in infancy, and another son (some question about father though) Patrick who lived but was killed in Australia (he was partner in the horse Hyperbola). John/James/"Janis" was murdered a few years ago now like you say. The other son's middle name is Gordon, not sure I'm allowed to say his first name because he is still alive/living (in NZ) though he is my father (so i'm a grandson of william's). William is buried in Paraparaumu, NZ.
 I happy to share by PM what little i know about my grand/fathers more recent part of family if you want to know? (I drew a jpg family tree. My trees on myheritage and GenesReunited are only direct line as too much time/hastle to do all the side relatives) (I myself am more interested in more distant ancestry, though also in befriending any relatives.)
Bambrough, Swallow, Newman, Wildermoth, Italian pow (unknown surname) or Edwards, Poole.

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 October 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have John Bambrough born 1789 at Whickham on a family tree. He married Elizabeth Lonsdale in 1828 at Houghton-le-Spring and they had ten children.

Anyone know if this is a second marriage for the John Bambrough who married Dorothy Storey in 1817?

mim
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sne31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 October 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, like yourself I too am interested in the early part of our family history. I can say I met William in the 1940s when he lived in Christchurch with his wife Ruby (never knew her former surname). Your great grandmother was the daughter of John Robert Newman who was the son of Robert Thompson Newman whose father was John Newman and it all goes back apparently at this time to 1797 when Robert Thompson was born. That is really on your great grandmater's side so it may not be of interest to you if you are following the blood line of the Bambroughs. I can tell you that William was a really nice man and yes they all came out on a 'scheme'. However, I was never aware of his name being vilified because of the strikes which were to do mainly with the mining section on the West Coast of the South Island. Patrick was a really nice person but an unhappy one. My sister lives in Auckland and will look through old papers and maybe come up with something else. Your great grandmother's sister 'Hettie' married a Kit Thirkell who lived in Horden in the 60's so maybe there maybe someone in that family who has more information on your family. Good to speak.

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 October 12 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have John Bambrough born 1789 at Whickham on a family tree. He married Elizabeth Lonsdale in 1828 at Houghton-le-Spring and they had ten children.

Anyone know if this is a second marriage for the John Bambrough who married Dorothy Storey in 1817?

mim

Apologies for interrupting the flow of this thread - It is not the same John Bambrough as I've found John & Dorothy in 1841.

mim
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ealdred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »

Wow thanks friends ever so much for the wonderful information/details on Bambrough & also Newman/"Thompson" family/people.

I just need/want to ask about "Isabel of Fellside", does anyone have her surname? At first I made a mistake and thought it was Isabel Maugham because she was called of Fellside, but further research couldn't find any relationship of a John Bambrough and Isabel Maugham. The only what I have found is that it seems to be Isabel Archer who married a John Bambrough a few years before birth of John & Isabel of Fellside's son. Someones site on myheritage has a John Bambrough (1755) and Isabel Forster about the same time though, but only lists a daughter Isabela so I assume is not the same.

Seems I've reached as far back as I can get only on net/web and free sources. Just can't seem to find out ancestors prior to John & Isabel.

John Bam & Isabel [Archer?] (1781)
John Bam (1787) & Dorothy Storey
William Bam & Eliza Beylass
William Bam & Ann Swallow
James Bam & Margaret Newman
William E Bam & Ruby Wildermoth.
my father & mother
me.
Bambrough, Swallow, Newman, Wildermoth, Italian pow (unknown surname) or Edwards, Poole.

Offline TraceyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 April 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi my birth name was Bamborough, my family originate from Easington area of Durham, I have no contact, however my grandparents apparently had 6 boys and 2 girls Catherine and Jessie.

I would like to find out more about my family.

Can anyone help.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
tracey give us as much info as you have names and aprox dob and we will see how we can help u?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:31 BST (UK) »
just going by what you have said as the 2 girls names you know i have found these people -
jessie bamborough easington 1934
john bamborough durham eastern 1940
william bamborough easington 1925
reuben bamborough easington 1922
catherine bamborough middleton lancashire 1941
lawrence bamborough easington 1927
albert bamborough easington 1930
all listed with mothers maiden name bainbridge
hope this helps?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney