Author Topic: Army murder record  (Read 2079 times)

Offline kestrelmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Army murder record
« on: Wednesday 15 February 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather (Captain, Royal Artillery) was shot and killed over a family matter by another soldier in Kenya in 1949.  I have found the record of his death but wonder whether there is anywhere I would find a record of the trial and/or execution of the man who shot him.

It seems that his trial was in the High Court of Kenya rather than a court martial.

Also, are death certificates of British servicemen who died abroad but not in action available from the GRO?

Sorry if these are elementary questions but I am a newcomer to this!
Howe
Vines
Jones (Kent)
Barratt
Belbin
Johnson (Staffordshire)
Pilcher
Gossage

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Army murder record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
hi,,can u post his name?  :)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
There are overseas/consular deaths as well as regimental deaths on Findmypast. They are not complete. I would have thought that you will get a lot more information from a Kenyan newspaper. It may even have been recorded in the (London) Times.

Ken

Offline kestrelmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 12:12 GMT (UK) »
hi,,can u post his name?  :)
My grandfather's name was Captain Percy Maurice VINES.  The man who shot him was Sergeant George James BRAY.
Howe
Vines
Jones (Kent)
Barratt
Belbin
Johnson (Staffordshire)
Pilcher
Gossage

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you search for  Percy Maurice VINES in google books you get the hit below.(from the Kenya gazette)

also if you search the London Gazette you will get his promotion dates.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3feGvIPl5YoC&pg=PA738&lpg=PA738&dq=Captain+Percy+Maurice+VINES&source=bl&ots=PZH5Kzfyjl&sig=cXkk_DGaKyKbqEqN58qOVSnbXjs&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Captain%20Percy%20Maurice%20VINES&f=false

Another link from Google
http://www.unithistories.com/officers/Army_officers_V01.html

also from google using the name Bray
kenya supreme court listing from the official gazette 11th oct 1949
cr c no 202/49

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline kestrelmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »

Thank you, but we already have this information!  What I really need to know is where the trial records and death certificates are archived - presumably either in London or Nairobi?
Howe
Vines
Jones (Kent)
Barratt
Belbin
Johnson (Staffordshire)
Pilcher
Gossage

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
hi,,his death certificate can be ordered from the GRO in the UK,,,his death is listed in the GRO Army Death Indices

Name   Percy M Vines

Station   Nairobi

Country  Kenya

Year  1949    Page  (10)3

Age at death  44

MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amaretti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello ,
           A distant cousin of mine recently lost her husband ,as she was sorting out his affects she came across a newspaper cutting .She can recall seeing this cutting many years ago but never knew why her husband should have kept it .
           It relates to your search for information on the execution date of George Max James Bray for the murder of Caps.Percy Maurice vines.
              Are you still searching for this information ?,if so I will send it to you .Do want it sent via Roots chat.
          Ameretti

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to your 2nd post, amaretti. Kestrelmusic has not been on rootschat since 2012 sadly. But one more & you can send a personal message [pm] to kestrel music by clicking on their name then selecting 'Send personal message'. They should receive notification of a reply to this thread if their email address is still the same. You can then exchange email addresses [not to be done on this public forum] & you could send a scan of the cutting.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON