Author Topic: Careers in Genealogy / Family Research  (Read 7843 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Careers in Genealogy / Family Research
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachael

I am a member of Ancestry but not FindMyPast, so shouldn't be too much of a problem. But now I've thought about it, if I go ahead with all this, I may create a new account for each 'customer' and give them the account details at the end, so they have all their information on their own account

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by creating a new account for each customer but if you mean a seperate account on Ancestry then that would also probably mean a seperate subscription. Personally I wouldn't post anything on the internet but keep all records on your own computer.

I would suggest that you have a chat with someone already in the profession and get their advice. Is there really a market for what you intend to do. What services can you offer. Do you have access to Archives or material that people need to pay for.

Andy

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:16 GMT (UK) »
If you do go into this business, when setting fees, don't forget to factor in travel time, transcription time, reporting to client time.  It's not much use charging someone for an hour's time looking something up, if it takes you an hour to get to the RO or archive and back, and another hour to type it all up   :P  :P

It's not an easy way to make a living, as a lot of work will come by word of mouth from satisfied clients, but this base can take years to build up.

Another avenue which is apparently available is searching records for people like the Public Trustee (or whatever it's called in the UK and Europe) or large legal firms - for when they are trying to find beneficiaries to wills etc.  But you'd need a fair amount of experience to keep down a job like that, I would think.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Rachel, I wish you well if you decide to become self employed in this area.  I must add that I have not pursued self employment..  I have however completed a Uni distance learning course. Not Post Grad or higher level degree however.  I have researched for friends as birthday presents etc.  The amount of time that this takes is enormous.  I estimate that if I had charged a pathetic fee of £10 per hour (average 100 Hours) each tree would have cost at least £1,000.  Obviously £10 per hour is not a realistic professional fee to support a living.  If you check the hourly fees of professional researchers you then have to weigh this against how many people would pay in excess of £20 per hour and whether you could sustain this as a living. You would also need to be able to produce professional reports and graphically satisfactory family trees.  Your fees would also need to incorporate the cost of buying or printing certificates.  You really must do your homework before embarking on this type of endevour.  I don't wish to sound negative, but look in the adverts in the Family History magazines and find out their charges and weigh this up with making a satisfactory living.  I would add that I live and have researched families in a county (Cheshire) that has the most genealogical information online.  Anywhere else would take even longer.
Good Luck
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline raysen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 12 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for your comments. I am sitting down this weekend, with a few other 'career' ideas to see what would be best for me etc, so all these comments are really appreciated.

and Kathb, don't worry I know you're not trying to be negative just realistic, which is what I am after :-)

Cheers guys, it's all food for thought eh?

Rachael
Senior - Yorkshire / Lincolnshire
Daykin / Dakin - Horncastle, Lincs
Potts - Staffs
Surfleet - Bardney, Lincs
Ladds - Boston, Lincs
Potter - Boston, Lincs
Golland - Boston, Lincs / Sheffield
Gill - Lincolnshire

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
You could have a look at these people - who have a code of practice for how professional genealogists should work
http://www.agra.org.uk/codeofpractice.php

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 12 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Rachel,whatever you decide, best wishes for your future.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness