Author Topic: Receiving "blank" emails with Windows Mail  (Read 16263 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Receiving "blank" emails with Windows Mail
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
I have been having this problem for months!

I use WebMail to get at emails, and the Reply/Forward buttons should appear within the message screen! ::)
Consequently I can't do anything with this type of email.

All I get is a new window, completely blank/empty/white.

Now that I know Apple Mac's are suspected, I will be able to inform the senders!

I use Windows 7, Firefox 12.0
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
  Likewise, if any image is embedded within the message (and not sent as an attachment), including a "sationery" effect, such as a company logo, then the email is instantly rendered as a "blank".

I'm not technical but have found this thread interesting, especially Thumper's experience with the logo. My daughter has occasionally sent us emails with attachments about interesting things she is doing at work - quite often one of the attachments simply shows the company logo. I've never mentioned it to her as I thought it was 'one of those things' associated with official company handouts...and we don't seem to have missed any information. But I'm now wondering if she sent these emails on her iPhone instead of her laptop and maybe there was indeed text I couldn't see  ??? I just use ordinary Orange email.

Unfortunately I recently had a spring-clean of my emails so don't think I've kept any of them, but I will have to ask her,  this is intriguing.
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline ManFromOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 15:47 BST (UK) »

To ThumperGT (and anyone else that is interested):

There are a number of different bugs with Windows Mail (and its "Live" cousin), as there are with most pieces of software that I have come across. I don't have a long enough remaining lifespan to investigate them all, so I focus only on those that affect me or my clients.

I jumped in here because I thought that the bug you were experiencing and the one I have been experiencing may have been one and the same. There is a chance that they are not, and if that is the case my apologies - I did not come here intending to hijack your topic.

In fact, if one wanted to argue the "different bugs" theory, I could tell you that in my case converting the "blank" emails to plain text does NOT make them readable. On the other hand, that could also be a slightly different reaction to the same bug by your Windows Live Mail compared to my Windows Mail.

While I no longer feel as strongly that you and I have the same problem, your last post does not convince me that they are not the same. Please consider...

Mac computers - Please re-read point (b) of my previous post. I have not argued that Macs don't cause the problem nor have I questioned your assumptions; I have merely stated that the issue might not generate exclusively from Macs. I am quite prepared to believe that receivers of Mac emails may experience the problem a lot more than I do. Emails that I receive from Macs are a tiny minority (though I know that emails from a particular Mac-using friend have never been blank). In a Windows Mail database of over 10,000 saved emails, I have only a dozen or so that exhibit the problem we have been discussing. Of those, it is likely that at best a minority would have come from Macs.

Internet Explorer - You have given no reason for dismissing my theory about Internet Explorer's role in all this. There is no disputing that both our email programs use IE components, regardless (as I have stated before) of whether or not the user him/herself consciously uses IE. I would be interested to know what makes you believe you that IE has no bearing, particularly given that you suspect HTML interpretation, but neither Firefox nor Chrome are involved in HTML rendering of your emails.

Since my last post here, I have gone one step further. I uninstalled the IE9 update, which caused the computer in question to revert to IE8. I then went back to my dozen or so blank emails - Every single one was perfectly readable!

So the conclusion? I was 100% correct about at least one cause of blank emails, and in my case - problem solved. (To some extent I have you to thank for the motivation.)

As for your case, again, it might be a different bug. However, without meaning to sound presumptuous, you may wish to try a 5-minute process that may resolve your issue. And if it does not, nothing lost. But it depends on how you obtained Windows 7.

Depending on the age or history of your computer, there are two possibilities: (1) Your Windows 7 came with IE8, and has since been updated to IE9 (for example, via Windows Update). Or (2) you obtained a late version of Windows 7, with IE9 already included. If yours is case (2), this may not apply. Otherwise, just go to "Programs and Features" in Control Panel, and uninstall "Windows Internet Explorer 9". (You may need to first select "View installed updates".) After rebooting, try those problem emails again.

The above procedure applies equally to Vista, where any inclusion of IE9 would have occurred after original OS install.

Cheers, all.

ManFromOz
(Occupation: IT Consultant, 30+ years)

Offline ThumperGT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Burrowing into my family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 June 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your input ManFromOz.

I have uninstalled IE 9, and IE 8 has reappeared. I will monitor incoming emails, but I have already noted that one of my previously "invisible" emails is now visible again, so it seeems you were right. Something in the way IE 9 was interacting with Live Mail was rendering Mac-originated HTML emails as "blanks".

Let's hope that the conundrum is now solved, although it's going to be inconvenient for anyone committed to using IE 9.
Researching Walton, Agar, Boyes, Kirk and Potts families in East Yorkshire and Cheshire. Also offer look-up and research for North, Middle and Steeple Aston in Oxfordshire.

Offline ManFromOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 June 12 15:43 BST (UK) »

ThumperGT,

While one previously blank email now being readable doesn't prove that you've completely solved the problem, IMHO it's looking pretty good so far. Glad to hear it.

Some parting comments...

I can't think of too many reasons why many people would be committed to IE9, unless bound by standards in the business or corporate world. But those people would rarely use Windows Mail or similar email programs. They typically use MS Outlook, with or without Microsoft Exchange. (Or third-party equivalents to either/both.) There are always exceptions, but reliance on Windows Mail would apply mainly to home or standalone users who would have fewer if any reasons to stick specifically with IE9. Then there is always the option of changing Windows Mail for some other alternative, rather than changing browser version. I'm not (yet) sure, but my present feeling is that the fault lies with Windows Mail being incompatible with IE9, rather than IE9 being the culprit. However, for expediency you and I have downgraded the browser instead of changing email program.

Another possible suggestion, again without meaning to be presumptuous. Do you have Windows Update set to Automatic by any chance? I'm assuming the possibility given that you don't use Internet Explorer, yet you had upgraded it from IE8 to IE9. It's "horses for courses", and Microsoft might downgrade my status if they heard me say this, but the first thing I do on any PC I work on is turn Windows Update OFF (and rely on periodic selective (not Express) manual updates at times of my or the user's choosing). I could argue several reasons for this, but here's just one. Windows tries to cater to everybody and their dog. As a result, most users would only use or require maybe 20-25% of its capabilities, but Windows Update (automatic mode) doesn't ask which parts are relevant, and considers 100% eligible for updating. Result? Far more downloading, installing and changing than most users need. And ironically, more risk. (Updates/upgrades are like surgery - something that shouldn't go wrong always can. The more surgery you choose to have, the greater the risk of accidents or mishaps. Part of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.) In your case, IE9 may be an example of this - you don't use IE, so why upgrade it? (And continue to have further updates each time WU gets a chance to decide for you.)

Thanks for the comments and stimulation. I hope that some of this will assist at least a few RC users out there.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
I've just been hit by the dreaded "blank email" syndrome today.
However as someone suggested, clicking on "reply" brings up the mail.

But I'm not using Internet Explorer at all! Never have. Weird.
And I'm using yahoo mail

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 June 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ManFromOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 June 12 05:54 BST (UK) »

To eadaoin, KN and others,

There are obviously different "blank email" problems with a number of webmail services, but these are not what ThumperGT and I have been discussing here, which relates to the rendering/displaying of pre-downloaded emails by email programs stored on the computer. KN's "see also" thread appears to deal with webmail services.

And once again - "using" Internet Explorer has nothing to do with the problem ThumperGT and I have been discussing. Whatever browser you use, if you use a Microsoft email program on your computer, it uses Internet Explorer, even if you don't think that you are using it.

A guess - perhaps some email sending programs/servers/services are developing faster than the receiving email programs or webmail services?

To ThumperGT,

I had occasion to work on a client's computer yesterday: Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8, and the downloaded "Windows Live Mail" program. I couldn't resist temporarily copying some of my (previously) "blank" emails to that computer, as a test. They all opened perfectly in Windows Live Mail.

After updating the browser to IE9 (and hence pretty well matching your configuration), I tried opening those same emails again. They were all blank!

So I'm now 120% convinced. :)

Cheers.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 June 12 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Reading all messages in plain text would enable you to see the plain text part of the message if there is one. Most mail clients send both a text part and an HTML part for "HTML" messages.

The reason you can read the message normally in a Reply or Forward window is that WLMail inserts its own HTML tags that compensate for the ones omitted or misplaced or incorrectly "coded" by the originator.

As mentioned by others, there's nothing you can do about it other than reverting to earlier versions of WLMail and/or Internet Explorer (which is used by WLMail to display HTML), or displaying as text.. Why WLMail does not insert its own tags on Read as well as Reply/Forward, heaven knows.

The alternative maybe Thunderbird, etc..

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).