Author Topic: Shannon/McConnell  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shannon/McConnell
« on: Tuesday 21 February 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone can help with the John and Mary Ann (McConnell) Shannon family. John was born 1796 and Mary in 1808. They married in Donegal - year unknown. First known child Margaret born about 1825. A son's obit states he was born in Londonderry, Londonderry, Ireland. This family immigrated to LeClaire, Scott Co., Iowa in the early 1850's. Mary died there in 1854. I haven't been able to find the family on any ship's manifest. I don't know what port they left from or arrived at or what ship they sailed on. With so little clues I don't know where to search for information on this family in Ireland.

Regards,
Prairie

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shannon/McConnell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I do see a partial match for a possible marriage

John Shannon = Ann McConnell, St. Eunans Cathedral, Raphoe, Donegal 1824, don't see a suitable birth record for Margaret, have you any of the siblings names? Do you know what denomination the family were? This may help but church records from the period are far from complete.

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I think this could be John and Mary Ann. She went by "Ann". Known children are:
Margaret b. 13 Jul 1825 m. William Nesbitt 1849 either Scotland or Ireland;
James b. 2 Aug 1831 Donegal, m. Jane Fleming in Donegal;
William b. 1832, m. Elizabeth Fleming;
John b. 1837;
Elizabeth b. 23 Aug 1842;
Hugh b. 3 Jul 1843 Londonderry, Londonderry;
Robert 5 Feb 1847 Londonderry

These are the only known children although Elizabeth may or may not be their child.

No, I don't know if they were Catholic or not. James wife Jane was Catholic as her funeral took place in a Catholic church.

Thank you Joe for the look up.

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:21 GMT (UK) »
The birth years of John and Ann's children are approximate. It seems they tend to vary from one census to the next and in obituaries. There may be another daughter, Matilda, born 1842 and Elizabeth may be 1838 not 1842. All born in Ireland. William did not marry in Ireland. James married Elizabeth but she may have gone by the name Jane. I know it is confusing...between not knowing when they were born and transcription errors this family is a real puzzle.

Regards,
Prairie

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Shannon's funeral was held at a Presbyterian Church if that helps any.
I have not had any luck searching genealogy sites in Ireland for this family. The family consisted of 8 known children born in Donegal and/or Derry Co. There should be parish records somewhere for them. I know many records were destroyed but there should be something on this family. Possible sources?

County: Donegal; Barony: Tirhugh; Civil Parish: Donegal; PLU: Donegal and Province: Ulster

County: Londonderry; Barony: NW Liberties of Londonderry; Civil Parish: Templemore; PLU: Londonderry; Province: Ulster

Discouraged :(

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prarie,

Had another look at this there seems to be perhaps a couple of mistranscriptions which are maybe throwing you of the trail, but heres what I found

The marriage from 1824 in Raphoe I mentioned in my first post, there are 3 children christened at the same church probably to the same couple:

John Shannon 1833 - father John mother Ann

Elizabeth Shannon 1837 - father John mother Ann

Hugh Shannon 1842- faher John mother Ann

With the gaps in the years there was probably others also that do not appear in these records

I have found a marriage for a James Shannon 1852 Londonderry (CP) married Jane FLYNN, not Fleming, James fathers name is John so seems to fit, although the marriage is recorded in Londonderry CP it may have taken place in Donegal, the civil parish of Londondery stretched into the county of Donegal, there is also a church record for this marriage in Donegal but I can't pinpoint the church. The index for this record is Vol 7 page 3

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Couple more updates,I have found the church record for the marriage of James and Jane it was at All Saints Parish Church, Donegal 1852

There is a cluster of 'Shannons' recorded in the Parish of Raymochy which is adjacent to All Saints in the early 19C recorded here

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/raymoghytab.htm

There is a John Shannon Snr. and Jnr. amongst them

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:12 GMT (UK) »
James obituary states that he was born and married in Co. Donegal. He came to America in 1852 so that fits. Probably married just before they came over. Located in Rock Island, Illinois first before selling a large tract of timber and coal land and moving to Le Claire, Iowa where all his Shannon family ended up living. Le Claire is on the Mississippi River and although James obituary did not mention that he worked on the river his brothers did. Possibly similiar work in Ireland?

Thank you for your efforts in helping me with my family. I am a newbie searching Ireland and it's difficult knowing where to search for information. Lots of challenges when you have misinformation to rely on for clues.

Prairie

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 September 14 04:52 BST (UK) »
Since I was here last I found that my Shannon family probably lived in the Raymochy (Raymoughy) area. Other places mentioned were Ruskey, Rusky, or Roosky and Raphoe. I received a forwarded email from another researcher that stated there were Shannon relatives still living in the area. Hoping someone from the Shannon family or descendant will respond to this query. Suggestions on where to search in the area would be appreciated. My Shannon family left Ireland in the early 1850's.

Regards to all and thank you for your assistance.