Author Topic: Dating this photo?  (Read 7533 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dating this photo?
« on: Tuesday 21 February 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Could anybody date this photo please and/or tell me anything exciting about it?!

Many thanks,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating this photo?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't offer anything much regarding dating I'm afraid; am really posting to bump this up so it gets noticed.  I see one chap seems to have been riding as he is carrying a whip, whilst the other has an umbrella.  I notice the man on the right has turn-ups on his trousers.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I can't quite tell from the photo...but is the man on the right wearing spats?

I did a bit of a google search and found they started about 1863 and were still being worn as part of military uniforms in 1910. Worn mainly by the wealthy. I'm sure I've seen them still being worn in TV productions of programmes like Jeeves and Worcester and Poirot which were in the 1920's
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I would say late 20s to 40s. Spats came in 2 versions, the loose ones which were worn over the shoes, usually worn by young toffs etc. Or the type which is actually part of the uppers of the shoes which is what appears to be in the photo. Often known as gangster shoes, look at any old film of that era and you will see the mob bosses wearing them in the USA, Al Capone being one of them.

John915

PS As well as a riding crop he is also holding riding gloves and hat so must have changed hats for the photo.
PPS found these as an example;
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline GBP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 12 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I think that it is somewhere in the 1920's. The chap on the right is a real dandy with his striped vest, spotted tie, tie pin and spat shoes. The bowler is very 20's. and tie pins were very fashionable at that time.
The chap on the left I agree is in some sort of riding outfit, however I can't make out what he is wearing under the jacket. The shirt looks as if it has been doctored in the photo as it has a strange sort of neckline -does any one else think this?  It looks very bright whatever it is. Great pic though.
Cheers, GBP

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I don't recall what these shirts are called now but they are usually a front only. It looks like the back of a shirt and fastens at the back of the neck and hangs down the front with a waist cord to hold it in place. They sometimes have a false waistcoat front as well. If you look carefully you will see 2 of the very small round buttons which are just for show. You may still occasionally see show jumpers wearing modern versions and a well fitted riding jacket hides the fact that it is a false front. His jacket looks several sizes too large for a hacking jacket.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 12 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Dickey?
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that's a driving whip, not a riding crop  ;)
Yes, dickey is the false shirt-front :)

Very dapper couple of chappies.  I don't think it's as late as the 40s.  I was thinking Edwardian, possible pre-WW1. 

Is there anything on the back of the photo at all?  What size is it?

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Sorry Prue but driving whips were usually 4 to 6ft long with a thong of equal length or more and without the crook end. He is holding a crop of the type more normally carried by huntsmen or whipper-ins to control hounds. Riders did sometimes carry them though for reasons best known to themselves. Also used in the military by the riders of the RHA.

John915

Actually, the more I look at it the more I think the chap on the left is wearing borrowed clothing as it is all so loose and i'm sure dapper chaps like that would wear well tailored shirts and jackets
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)