Author Topic: where or what is Moat  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Are Searcher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where or what is Moat
« on: Wednesday 22 February 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
In a testament on SP I have a Russell couple who have moved from Moat to Arns the latter is just outside Cumbernauld and I cannot find Moat. Can anyone help me?
To be honest I'm not sure that Moat is in Dunbartonshire.

Arejavascript:replaceText('%20::)',%20document.postmodify.message);
Buchanan (Glasgow), Allerdice(Ayrshire), Russell & Cameron(Lanarkshire&Dunbartonshire), McTurk Brown,  Menzies, McQuaker, Thomson(wigtownshire),Wallace

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: where or what is Moat
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 09:22 GMT (UK) »
There are probably too many options for Moat to guess. The 1841 census for example brings up numerous entries for Moat as an address in places such as Lanarkshire, Midlothian, Dumfries-shire, Kirkcudbrightshire etc.

What period are you looking at (as this may help you in finding alternative records for other events)?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Are Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Moat was mentioned in SP Testament CC9/7/71 on23/11/1781 for my ancestor William Russell and one of his daughters and her husband arrived at Arns to take possesion of the Arns farm. I would imagine the Moat in Lanarkshire would be the most likely place they came from. I have Googled Moat with no results and  so can I ask you Monica how did you trace all the Moats you mentioned?
Thanks for your help and once again Rootschat to the rescue

Are.
Buchanan (Glasgow), Allerdice(Ayrshire), Russell & Cameron(Lanarkshire&Dunbartonshire), McTurk Brown,  Menzies, McQuaker, Thomson(wigtownshire),Wallace

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Are

I got some of the listings from just putting in the word Moat into the address field on the 1841 census transcript.

One search that you could also do and I have just tried is to put the word Moat into the 'Description' search box on Scotlands People will & testament search page. It will bring up at least 59 entries through time. The Moat for Lanarkshire seems to show in Lesmahagow and Winston and Roberton (possible refs to a farm there for example). Also in Biggar, Lanarkshire where it shows as Moat Park.

Some modern refs here for example www.castleuk.net/castle_lists_scotland/72/roberton.html

Not sure if these refs connect in any way to the Moat you are looking for from the documents but hopefully some ideas there.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Are Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
                Thanks for the hints and guidance I'll give them a try.

Great help,

Are.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Are,

"Arns" is located some 2km north of the east end of Fannyside Loch, which is itself approx 3km east of Cumbernauld New Town.  OS Sheet 65 (Falkirk and West Lothian) Grid Ref 756809.  The 6" OS Map from 1843-1882 shows the site in fair detail.  Check out the National Library of Scotland site (geo.nls.uk/search).

"The Mote" is shown on the same series of maps as being approx 1km. NE of Cumbernauld House.  This however may just refer to an old, man-made earth feature, (cf "motte") and not a building.  An enquiry to North Lanarkshire Council Library Service may provide more information about the area.

Good Luck,

Istrice

Offline Are Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Itrice
Thanks for the info I have some vg maps of the Arns area and photos kindly sent to me of the farm by one of my contacts.
I would like to thank everyone who has helped and after some consideration I think that the Moat I'm looking for is a district in Edinburgh or at least it is the most likely.

Thanks once again

Are.
PS I suppose to be sure I will have to find an early history of that area of Edinburgh to be sure Moat existed around 1781