Author Topic: Mission Impossible I think!  (Read 674 times)

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
Mission Impossible I think!
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I'm hoping that someone among you may have the technology that may help to decipher this writing on the back of an unidentified photo of a soldier and his men.

The large writing is easy to decipher, but on closer inspection there is some fainter, smaller writing down closer to the right hand corner. I think that this may contain the name of my relative.

The name I think I see under a magnifying glass is "Edwin", but I'm not at all objective, as that is what I really want to see. I think I can also make out the word "with" in very tiny writing.  The writing is done in with a grey lead pencil.

I am including a scan of the whole back of the post card and then a scan just of the writing in the corner and keeping my fingers crossed that better minds than mine might come together to solve the mystery!

Please can someone have a guess no matter how tenuous?

Kind regards,
Jill 
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Impossible I think!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill :)

The name looks to be "Eddie" I think.

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Even better Prue!  Thanks!  :-* ;D

I was contacted by someone from the Royal Field Artillery, doing a research piece on the Battle of Loos and he has chosen one soldier at random to research in depth, in this case my Dad's Uncle Edwin.  He found my family tree on-line and contacted me hoping I would have a photo.  I was sure I did, but many of my old photos remain unidentified, although we can pin down to a particular family.  It's been difficult to decided which Brother was who until I found this undecipherable scrawl.  The larger writing does match his signature on his army records and on the his marriage banns, so the name is really the clincher.  He was known to the family as "Eddie".

Thanks as always for taking the trouble to help!  It is always appreciated and in this case I can safely send his photo to my contact, knowing it's not his Brother who served in the same regiment and was killed in France.

Kind regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 06:59 GMT (UK) »
No worries at all Jill - it's always a pleasure  :D  Glad Eddie has his name back again  ;)

What a great story, it's so nice to be able to identify people in photos and how great that someone is researching your rellie  :) 

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I know Prue, what are the odds of him picking one person from that battle at random and it being my Dad's Uncle?  I used to be a very rational human being, but since being involved with family research I find myself amazed and spooked often, at how these folks who are long gone, seem to help us get the answers in unbelievable ways!!!   :o ??? :D ;D
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox