Author Topic: MATHER/MATHER  (Read 810 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MATHER/MATHER
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This post concerns a Scottish Mather who married a British Mather.  Both names are spelled the same but pronounced differently.  The Scottish pronunciation has a hard "a".

James Frederick Mather, born 05 February 1888 in Rainy River District of Algoma, northern Ontario/died 26 March in Chulmleigh, Devon, UK.  He married:

Ruth Mather, born 12 June 1879 Prestwich, Lancashire.  To my knowledge they were married in Vancouver and lived there all their married life.  I

I do not have a date of marriage for this couple; however, Ruth was a widow when she married James Fred. Mather.  Her first husband, (last name Griffith) died in 1917 in Indianapolis USA.  I have no background on how this couple met.  James Fred. served in WW1 and maybe that is how they they came together.   Ruth Mather died in Vancouver 17 Nov. 1958; her husband was the informant on her death certificate.

The fact his death occurred overseas really leaves me scratching my head.   Maybe James Fred. and Ruth lived in Chulmleigh for part of the year.  From what I understand, this is a beautiful tourist area.  Further to this, I don't believe this family lacked the funds to enjoy life.

I haven't found a burial for James Frederick Mather - just a death.  However, wife, Ruth is buried in Vancouver.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful.

Carleton
Ottawa 
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MATHER/MATHER
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
died 26 March in Chulmleigh, Devon, UK.  He married:

This was in 1960

A copy of his death cert will tell you who reported his death.  If he was visiting the area with friends/relatives or on an organised tour - it's most likely his body would have been returned for burial in Canada
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)