Author Topic: Gilbert Edwin Gerrish  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Annehazel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilbert Edwin Gerrish
« on: Sunday 26 February 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information about the death of Gilbert Edwin Gerrish, possibly in Guleph, Ontario, around 1912-1913. He's there in the 1911 census. His wife and son sailed from Montreal on the Royal George and arrived in Bristol, England 1st August 1912. They sailed back to Montreal later in 1912 and then returned to England permanently in April 1913 on the Royal Edward. Family story is that Gilbert, his wife and child all sailed back to  England on a visit on the Royal George in 1912 but that the ship was wrecked and Gilbert killed. Gilbert is not on the passenger list and although I've found confirmation that the Royal George ran aground there appear to have been no fatalities. Suspect that Gilbert remained in Canada whilst his wife and son visited England, that either he died during their absence or after their return, or that he split with his wife. Any information gratefully received!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert Edwin Gerrish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
http://ocfa.islandnet.com/ocfa-search.php

Grave for Gilbert E. Gerrish at Woodlawn Cemetery Guelph which is where he married Laura Beecham Cooper 6 May 1908 and his son William Edwin was born 1 Oct 1909.
Marriage was indexed under Garrich, his arrival in 1907 on the Mongolian as Garish.

The above link contains information on their home page as to how to order the inscription from the headstone.

Debbie

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Here is his death record from the familysearch site.  He died 20 feb 1913 in Guelph. 

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDKG-35M

If you have access to Ancestry (I don't), then you should be able to view the image of his death record.  If you don't have a subscription, your local library might have access to the free Ancestry Library Edition.   :)   The Ancestry record might give his cause of death - did it involve water??

RK

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what his name is indexed under on ancestry.
Death registration #034840 shows death at Guelph General Hospital due to pneumonia of 1 weeks duration and heart failure.
married, b. Eng., occupation core maker, s/o Edwin Gerrish and blank Fisher, informant E. Shephard

Debbie

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »

I have a Ancestrry membership also but have not been able to find him . Searched  through pages and pages.
Maybe his name is misspelled..

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Surname is indexed under Gersich on Ancestry.  I've submitted a correction as it clearly looks like Gerrish to me on the image.

Susan

Offline Annehazel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - that is brilliant - I am very grateful.