Author Topic: Morris Boys East and West Langdon  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morris Boys East and West Langdon
« on: Wednesday 29 February 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just found that, after months of searching, my gggrandfather, Thomas Boys Morris, was born in Strood. His father was born in East Langdon - John Morris - and mother Sarah was born in West Langdon. I cannot find anything about the couple other than the 41 census. I am wondering if  Thomas' mother Sarah's surname was Boys, given the coincidence of that unusual name, the family coming from the Langdons, and the fact that there seem to be a lot of Boys in that area. (Thomas born in 1816/John about 1787/Sarah about 1797)
Does anyone know about the Morris Boys connection?? I am coming up blank beyond the census records of 1841/51, no marriage, birth records (except for Thomas Boys), nothing for the parents.
Thomas Boys Morris became a mariner, married hannah Hickman from Southampton in 1840, and though he died young, assuming that is why he does not live in the family home with his wife - she becomes head of household by 1851 (he died at sea?), his full name shows up on his children's wedding banns (Thomas Boice/Boyce/Boys Morris; master mariner/deceased).
Any information to find the Boys connection that might help me continue to go back and to answer questions about the family origins would be VERY much appreciated!

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Boys East and West Langdon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I do not believe that John Morris and Sarah of the Langdons near Dover are the parents of your Thomas Boys Morris.

John Morris married Sarah Ash at East Langdon on 2 May 1818 some two years after the baptism of Thomas Boys Morris in Strood.  They had 4 children between 1818 and 1822 all baptised in East Langdon.  Father John was a Labourer.

The baptism (14/7/1816) of TBM at Strood records the father John as a Carpenter.  This can be found on the Medway Arc site.  There are three other baptisms, in Strood, post 1812 that record John Morris (Carpenter) and Sarah as parents.  Gideon 8/11/1818, Benjamin & Hannah both on 15/5/1814.  Hannah's dob was said to be 8/4/1812.  Earlier than this, when the father's occupation was not recorded, there were another six baptisms, also in Strood, where the parents were stated to be John and Sarah.  The earliest was Mary on 7 February 1802.

Again apologies for the content of this message but I though it was the right thing to do and I hope it helps you to futher your research.

Regards,
Tony

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Boys East and West Langdon
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
Tony, please don't apologize, that is really great information AND I feel like a numpty not thinking to look further for other baptisms. That was inspired! TBM has been a complete mystery wrapped in an enigma, and this may be the break my cousin and I have been looking for. So kind of you to take the time, many many thanks. If I get lucky with furthering this mysterious mariner, I'll post that information.   Aine