Author Topic: Brown Family Parkanaur estate  (Read 4773 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Family Parkanaur estate
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 12 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Henry Brown, age 21, son of Henry Brown, married 20 Sept.1867 Milton, Co. Armagh, to Helena Brown, age 20, daughter of Joseph Brown.
The actual marriage certificate will list residences of bride and groom, occupations (also fathers' occupations), names of 2 witnesses, place of marriage.

Children:
1. Joseph Henry born 15 Aug.1868 Loughall district, Armagh (page 67 in civil register)- parents Henry Brown & Helena Brown
2. Elena born 8 Nov.1870 Dungannon district, Tyrone (page 584 in civil register)- parents Henry Brown & Elena Brown
3. daughter (unnamed) born 23 Aug.1875 Co. Wexford, parents Henry Brown & Helena Brown
4. John born 4 June 1880 Rathminoe district (Meath & Cavan), parents Henry Brown & Helena Brown Brown

All the above details from www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brunosean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 March 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey,
This information really expands greatly what I know and ties in well with scraps of information in my collection. The Townland where John Brown was born is actually Rathmanow,which is a part of the Farrell estate in Moynalty Co. Meath. Henry Brown definitely worked for a Coln. Farrell, but we never knew where....so it all ties in,thanks.

How do I get copies of the marriage cert/baptismal certs. Is it through the Church or PRONI?
Regards and thanks
S

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
PRONI have microfilmed copies of some church records- you can check their website at www.proni.gov.uk. Up until recently they couldn't make copies of microfilmed church records without written permission from the minister but not sure if theat's still the policy. If it has then you would need to know exactly which church and a fairly exact date. Probably far easier to contact the church directly.
See here for details included on marriage certificates, how to order them, etc.:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433042.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brunosean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
That is great thank you.
I have found the Church..Milltown, near Maghery and have sent a request to the Minister.
Thanks again.
S

Offline Haircut1200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, my sister is living in the gamekeepers house in Edenacrannon. The date plaque on the house is 1868.
 Could this be the Browns' home.the gentleman who lives near by is Mr B*. He was born and rared there and is a host of info.he has the entire history and stories which are a treat.

Offline brunosean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Haircut
Thanks for the response to my post and it is very interesting that the house still is in use. The Browns would definitely have lived there as Henry my Great grandfather ,the Gamekeeper, worked on the estate between about 1886 and 1875 and 2 children were born there.Also my grandfather,[also Henry] lived there as well.
 Is the house near the main house or is it in the townland of Edenacrannon?
I would love to see it and get a photograph or two. Although I live in the South, I do business in Craigavon from time to time and I have visited the main house and grounds a few times this year.But I didnt know where the gamekeepers house was.
It certainly would be nice to have a chat with Mr B*.
Incidentally, there is a very good site..Killeeshil and Clonaneese historical society, which is full of great stuff about the area, with old maps, school records etc. Maybe you already know this.
Thanks once again
Sean

Offline Haircut1200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
this particular house is in a small row of ex tied cottages.probably lived in by estate workers. they are on the same lane as the old school house.
if i get a chance ill ask the gentleman which house exactly the gamekeeper lived in. i know for a fact that the last occcupants before my sister were the forest manager and his wife

Offline brunosean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 00:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I have no real notion of where those tied cottages are located, so I would appreciate your help in just getting directions to where they are located, relative to the main house.
Thanks once again
Sean

Offline Haircut1200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
Aughintober road in Edenacrannon is the exact address. It leads onto the estate of Parkanaur.. Google away...it's a bit of a distance from the main house. If this row of houses are not where the a keeper lived then its my genuine mistake. There's a story of the four houses in that row being built for the landowners four daughters. However the houses were all different in size and are terraced.and the old school, now a house is at the end of that private road