Author Topic: Address on Death Certificate  (Read 1792 times)

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Address on Death Certificate
« on: Saturday 03 March 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
A death certificate in my possession says that the deceased, Charlotte Spindler was "Widow of William Spindler a labourer of 56 Bloomfield Street, Bromley"

Would this address refer to her last known home before entering the workhouse? In 1881 she was living at Augusta St, Poplar, and the death occurred in 1886 at the workhouse, Poplar - she was 93.

I am trying to trace the marriage of Charlotte to William and wondered if the address could help? In previous census she moved about a bit but none are in Bromley.

Any thoughts please  :)
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Address on Death Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

She may have been admitted to the workhouse as she was sick.  :-\
I would think the address on the death certificate probably is her last known address though the following implies otherwise.

The register of deaths for Poplar Workhouse states
Date of death 9th November 1886 Charlotte Spindler age 91
From what parish admitted - Poplar
Where buried - By Friends

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the death certificate the first columm usually shows the address where a person dies and 7 shows regular address:

Column 1  - When & Where Died

Column 5 - Occupation - this can often in the case of women just show they are the wife of ......... and his occupation, if she does not work

Column 7 - Signature, description & residence of informant - this will often be the residence of the spouse and the 'home' address of the deceased.

In the case of someone dying in 'hospital' (either workhouse infirmary or local hospital) then the 2 addresses will be different.  When the 2 addresses are the same it can mean that the person although dying in the infirmary had been in the Workhouse for some time and had no 'home' address.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, the address in Bromley is crammed in to column 5. The informant was the workhouse master so the addresses in column 1 & 7 are the same.

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 12 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie - I hadn't seen that record. The certificate says she was 93! I have tracked her through the census and she was a widow as far back as 1851 so it would be strange to quote an address for a long dead husband?