Author Topic: Maybe I'm the lucky one.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm the lucky one.
« on: Saturday 03 March 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I was looking through the Warwickshire records recently put up on Ancestry, filling in a few details of my distant relatives.

One chap, born in Eccleston in 1801, was a Gentleman's Coachman, and had married in 1851.

First task was to fill in the exact date, but it was virtually impossible to read because of a dark shadow heading diagonally from the top left corner. I scrolled down, and the lower entry on the page had the bride and groom's names completely obliterated.

That's when I also noticed distinct signs of the page having been burnt. This was no error by whoever filmed the register.

Suddenly it all clicked into place.

The church was St. Michael's, Coventry.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I'm the lucky one.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
That sent a shiver down my spine.

If you haven't already been, make sure you visit St Michael's.  I'm not a churchgoer and have no Coventry connections, but your story triggered the memory of being there in 1989  ................  Powerful stuff.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
 ??? ??? ???
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

???  ???  ???

St Michael's Coventry is the Cathedral which was bombed in WWII - I would imagine that the registers were partly destroyed during the ensuing fire, but what has been salvaged is now on Ancestry?

As Carol says, a visit to St Michael's is well worthwhile if you are near Coventry.  What remains of the second Cathedral (the one destroyed by the bomb) is a haunting reminder of what happened during the war, but the theme of the new (third) Cathedral is reconciliation and it is a beautiful example of modern Church architecture.

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk