Author Topic: Aylesford - DANES family brewery  (Read 1783 times)

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aylesford - DANES family brewery
« on: Sunday 04 March 12 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

For some time I've been trying to source as much information as I can on my mother's side of the family, the Danes. From 1858 to 1949 the family lived in Aylesford and I have a complete picture of 'who, where and when' from the censuses.

What I am searching for is any information on the brewery that the family ran in Aylesford.

Danes Anchor Brewery was (we think) established in about 1858 by Thomas Danes and ran until it was sold off in the 1920s. I know which generations/members of the family were associated with it through census occupations and I have seen surviving examples of the beer bottles they used.

But what I have been unable to locate are any photographs of the brewery itself. The building was located in the square of Aylesford but, I believe, was deemed not aesthetically pleasing enough to be photographed.

If anyone could shed any light on the mystery of the missing brewery I would be very grateful. Many thanks.

Offline Keith Osborne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Aylesford - DANES family brewery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever come across a photo of the Anchor Brewery?

There is an aerial view just showing the back of the brewery rooftops and chimney.  Also I think you will have a photo of the bottling stores in Rochester Road?

I am putting the finishing touches to a book called "County Town Breweries" covering the breweries in Maidstone and neighbourhood.

I know Thomas Danes worked for a brewery at Wateringbury before setting up the Anchor Brewery.  What I don't know is the connection between the Anchor Inn and the brewery.  Do you?

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aylesford - DANES family brewery
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Have you had a look through these lovely old photos of Aylesford?

http://www.kentphotoarchive.com/kpa/search/index.php?townkeywordname=AYLESFORD&featurekeywordname=&pagenumber=1

I can't see the brewery named but you might be able to work out where it was.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk