Author Topic: Passport Records  (Read 764 times)

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passport Records
« on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way to get information on a person that was bout about the 1880s i cant find a death cert for this person and was wondering would the irish embassy have info on them or a passport records if there is anything like that for ireland

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passport Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Ireland did not become an independent country until 1922. Untill then the whole island of Ireland formed a constituent part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Before the First World War it was not compulsory for someone travelling abroad to apply for a passport.
see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/passport.htm about passports.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passport Records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I have looked up one person in the passport records. No useful info at all, beyond the name and "travelling on the Continent" - well, he would, wouldn't he? So I agree - this isn't likely to be a productive line of investigation. Sorry....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan