Author Topic: What Degree is MB Bth?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What Degree is MB Bth?
« on: Thursday 08 March 12 01:16 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Irish Census, my ancestor, Patrick Quinn, has an occupation listed as "MB Bth General Practitioner and Dispensing Doctor."  What do MB and Bth stand for?  I can't find anything helpful on-line. 
Many thanks
Quinn, McGonigal, Deasy, Lafferty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What Degree is MB Bth?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 12 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

I think it would be MB BCh -

MB BCh   Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery)

This is a first qualification in medicine and they are awarded after successful completion of  a 5 year undergraduate course  - other  forms are MB ChB, MB BS, etc. depending on which university the person attended.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
see Image of his occupation on the return below..

there's a possible listing for Patrick in the Medical Directory in Thom's 1914 as follows :

P.M. Quinn, M.B. & B.S. R.U.I., Sligo

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Definitely MB BCh on the image, Shane  :)

so my definition stands and BCh does equate to BS

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm so grateful for the help . . . many thanks!  I'm hoping that you might be able to help me with a related question regarding Patrick Quinn, as I seem to have hit a wall and am looking for ideas.

My distant grandfather is Peter Quinn (b. abt 1840, d. 5 June 1894).  His death certificate indicates that he died of bronchitis at his brother's house, Patrick Quinn, in Greagh, Kilmore, Monaghan.  (See attached document.)  Because his date of death is fairly close to the 1901 Census, I ran a search and found a Patrick Quinn in Greagh  (the only Quinn in Greagh, at that time).  This seems to suggest that the two men are related, but their occupations are so incongruent that I'm just not sure . . . Patrick Quinn was listed as a Doctor, while Peter Quinn was listed as a Rag Gatherer/Ragman. 

Any thoughts on other documents that might establish their connection (or not)?  I don't have any information about Peter Quinn's parentage, but I do know that he lived in Corcaghan, Monaghan, was married to Margaret Quinn, who died in the Monaghan Workhouse of consumption/TB on 14 Jan 1882 (poor lady), and had two children in Corcaghan (Patrick, b. 4 Aug 1870, and Margaret, b. 17 Mar 1878).

Many thanks!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I was mixing up Patrick and Peter ... is Peter his father ?

Do you have a marriage cert for Patrick & Eva ?
It should show the names and occupations of their fathers.

I'm wondering about that Peter - his death is in Co. Monaghan, yet Patrick was born in Co. Sligo - some distance from Monaghan..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Peter and Patrick would have been brothers, although they do seem to have been born some number of years apart. 

Thank you for the suggestion about the marriage certificates.  If I can obtain certificates for Peter Quinn/Margaret Trainor and Patrick Quinn/Eva Marie, it might shed light on whether the two men share a common parentage.

Yes, the Monaghan/Sligo locations pose a problem.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a birth document for Peter, although if the two men are brothers, it suggests that they may have been born in Sligo and then re-located to Monaghan.

Many thanks! 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 12 16:27 GMT (UK) »
1840 is well before the start of civil records (1864) - you would need to search for a baptism for Peter...

Do you have a birth cert for Patrick or a birth cert for any of his children ?
(makes it much easier to locate a marriage for him)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't have a birth certificate for Patrick.  I've run a search on ancestry.com and there are two viable people, but I just don't have enough information to confirm either.  I ran a search, as well, for baptismal info on Peter Quinn born in Sligo around 1840, and nothing comes up at all.