Author Topic: Baptism Records Church of Scotland  (Read 737 times)

Offline Bonnie21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism Records Church of Scotland
« on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction to look for a Church of Scotland baptism in 1884 in Govan?

All help gratefully received.

A

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Records Church of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you specifically want the baptism or do you want the birth certificate with details of parents etc.? The birth certificate can be got using Scotland's People. For the baptism, you would first have to have an idea which church the parents attended. One way of (perhaps) finding this out is by looking at their marriage certificate to see which minister married them. Then you would have to go to the National Archives of Scotland on-line catalogue and look to see if they have the baptismal register for the minister's church at that period. If so, you could consult it in the Historical Search room there, in Edinburgh. It would be unlikely to tell you anything other than the date of baptism and parents' names. Many, if not most baptisms and marriages at that period were conducted in private homes, rather than in the church itself.

Graham.

Offline Bonnie21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Records Church of Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

Thanks Graham quite obvious really, but I never see the obvious!  I have tracked down to what I believe was the church where the parents were married and have sent the minister an email.  Fingers crossed!

Regards
Alastair