Author Topic: Frances de Bruton MURDOCH  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Frances de Bruton MURDOCH
« on: Saturday 10 March 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with my request.   I have been looking for a death record or any details relating to when she died.   It is generally thought she died c 1880 in or near the Anakies in Victoria.
Frances was the eldest daughter of Gilbert and Anges (Lees) Robertson, she was born in Gladsmuir, Scotland, married James Beveridge Murdoch in Hobart in 1845. 
I have successfully located the death records and burial places of both her parents and her husband James but so far haven't been able to find any records or mention in Trove as to when she died.    I have also searched the cemetery records around Geelong without success.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frances de Bruton Murdoch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be any record of her death, burial or a remarriage in Victoria under any spelling variation.
I am wondering if this is her on an outgoing passenger list leaving from Hobson's Bay a few years after her husbands death:

MURDOCH F MRS age 50yrs, 'NIL DESPERANDUM' JUL 1874, SUVA - #001

There was only a small amount of passengers outbound perhaps one of the other names you recognise?

http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=42

Newspaper notices including the passenger list:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kt9/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kt9/

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 12 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Not helping with finding her death and you probably have these references to Frances' name
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CARIBBEAN/2009-01/1231893911
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BRUTON/2007-04/1177421661
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CARIBBEAN/2009-01/1232582895

This ref names her children - do you think she may have gone back to Tasmania?

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=marycotter&id=I95355057

And this one gives info re her parents - may save others searching.
http://ldu.lothiansfhs.org/forums.php?m=posts&q=302

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 12 07:21 GMT (UK) »
PROV has a digitised will indexed as that of James B MURDOCK, farmer, residence: Anakies died 2 Aug 1871. The will is dated 31 July 1871.  The surname could be MURDOCK or MURDOCH - the last letter seems to have a 'kick' in the downstroke which could be 'h' or 'k'.  There is even one place where the last letter has been altered but I can't work out which is the alteration - 'h' or 'k'!

It's definitely transcribed in the PROV index as MURDOCK, and inconclusive in the hand-written record.  I have used MURDOCH each time.

He leaves his property to be divided among his children, named as:
Grace McKENZIE,
Elizabeth Robinson MURDOCH,
Agnes Lees DALGLEISH,
Fanny MURDOCH,
Gilbert Robinson MURDOCH,
William Thomas MURDOCH,
John Charles MURDOCH,
Peter MURDOCH,
Margaret McDONALD MURDOCH.

He leaves 26 pounds pa to 'my wife'; the money to paid 'through my daughter Elizabeth to the said Fanny MURDOCH'

Elizabeth Robinson, son-in-law Anthony McKENZIE of Wollongong and Thomas HALL of Sutherlands Creek are trustees.

Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions but it seems as though there is a possibility that 'Fanny' is living apart from him at the time of the will.  Also gives her another name to search for.  Whenever James MURDOCH's second name is mentioned it is spelt "Bevridge".  Interesting, but probably of no consequence, is the use of the name ROBINSON when other documentation shows ROBERTSON.

http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=54
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
You are all on the correct track, it is the  right family.   The family tree is posted at the Dr John Murdoch website.   I have been trying to fill in the gaps re the females in the tree.   Patriarchal trees are fine but there are a lot of women who married into it (as well as the husbands too).   
I do need to investigate further the passenger list for the ship to Suva, (had nearly forgotten about it actual) to see if Norfolk Island featured on its itinerary.   If so Fanny may have gone there to pay her respects to her second sister Elizabeth who died there in 1847 just after their father Gilbert Robertson had bee dismissed from his post as Agricultural Superintendent by Commander Price.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frances de Bruton MURDOCH
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 20 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
Back to this chess nut, love to be able to crack it.  I know early researchers have claimed Frances died at Anakie but until I can have evidence to confirm this I'm not prepared to put this one to bed.  I have some newspaper article from Trove that may relate to her but am unable to find her name in other records to confirm she actually served 2 months she was sentenced to.  A dozen  more questions were raised.  Have a possible record re the Nil Desparandum, have served for anything relating to her in Fiji, again a dead end.  My next place to search will be the Asylum records starting 1873.  I just want to be about to write in when and where the dear lady died..  Just hate the idea of any trace of her just being rubbed of the pages of history.
  Abygail

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 20 08:40 GMT (UK) »
re.....He leaves 26 pounds pa to 'my wife'; the money to paid 'through my daughter Elizabeth to the said Fanny MURDOCH'
and.......Elizabeth Robinson, son-in-law Anthony McKENZIE of Wollongong

Did Fanny go to NSW to live with daughter Elizabeth?
There was this death in Sydney.
reg. 1416/1880
MURDOCK  Fanny Age 62   

Essie

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essie,
thanks for the possible lead, can't find anything in Trove which isn't typical of the family not to publish some noticed of the event.   From what I can remember (without looking it up) Anthony McKenzie was born in Wollongong and married close to Geelong.  Will keep this lead in mind and see what I can find further to it.
  Abygail

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 November 20 06:46 GMT (UK) »

Deleted.....moved to current site.