Author Topic: William Houston b.1782 County Down Ireland d.1846 Ontario, Canada  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Brittaya

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Houston b.1782 County Down Ireland d.1846 Ontario, Canada
« on: Sunday 11 March 12 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for my Houston line. I've traced them to just back in Ireland, but the trail goes cold on ancestry so I was hoping someone would be able to help me. What I have so far is the family that came to Canada from Ireland:

William Houston (b1782) and Mary Ann Newell (b 1782)
son Richard Houston b 1817 d 1873

All of the above were born in County Down Ireland and died in either Ontario or the States.

Then I have names for William's parents as Richard Houston (b1750 probably approx) and Jane Patterson. But not much else in terms of information for them. I followed a few of the websites listed in the resources here, but perhaps I missed the info I was looking for. I'm rather new at this, only been researching a year or so.

So I've basically hit a brick wall. I've searched various other websites and resources, but so far I haven't found the right Richard Houston. So if anyone has any information for me I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Britt
Black - Aberdeen
Milton - Aberdeen
Houston - Canada, Ireland, Scotland
Joslyn - Canada, England
Ross - Scotland, Ireland

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Houston b.1782 County Down Ireland d.1846 Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Britt, if you haven't seen //freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies, try it, look up Houston for entries before 1820,  my hunches would be be in the civil parishes of Comber, Donaghamore, and Kilkeel, the entries are easily searched by Parish in the whole list. If you have any conclusions or possible leads , let us all know. good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline houston03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 12 02:37 GMT (UK) »
The houstons currently live in Caledon, (County Tyrone ) -Hope this helps you .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 12 09:41 GMT (UK) »
The houstons currently live in Caledon, (County Tyrone ) -Hope this helps you .

As I mentioned in reply to another of your posts, not all Houstons are connected.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brittaya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if you're trying to be helpful or if you are a troll. If you're serious, I can tell you that not ALL Houstons live in Ireland, as there are some here in Canada.. Myself included. And I'm sure there are Houstons all over the globe. I'm trying to find the ones I'm related to, not just people with the same last name. But thank you for trying to help if indeed that's what you think you were doing.

Brittany
Black - Aberdeen
Milton - Aberdeen
Joslyn - Canada, England
Ross - Scotland, Ireland

Offline houston03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Helping , i didnt know there was houstons in canada the houstons im talking about are originally from scotland over a hundred years back ... i know of extended family from them living in boston but ive never heard anyone talk about family in canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of Houstons in Ireland, especially Northern Ireland, and they are not all related. Brittaya is searching for HER family but that doesn't mean they are connected to all the other Houstons.

houston03- you are talking about a Houston family that may have gone from Scotland to Caledon and some of their connection might have gone to Boston but this topic is Brittaya's search for her Houstons (the first post gives quite a bit of detail).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brit staying on the Co Down Houston, I hope you tried Ros Davies website, my last suggestion is try family trees etc that appear in Blackwood Family history manuscript tree collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast. The collection is strong in Co Down families.  As you live overseas as many do, then I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Email:info[at]linenhall.com or just go onto their website for contact details. .
   The volume references are
   HOUSTON in Vol 3 p126 Blakiston {This Blakiston addition means a major marriage], Vol 7p175, Vol 23T {The T means transcripted elsewhere and would have meant mr blackwood did another tree in a higher volume number, but that is missing.
   Hoping this is widens or narrows the information for your quest.
   JimG

Hi houston 03, if you start your own topic, I hope you will have  used askireland Griffiths valuation for the 160 plus Houston homesteads  that existed in 1858 in Co Tyrone goos luck Jimg
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Brittaya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 November 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much JimG. I was just looking at that site again yesterday. I really appreciate the resources! I'm going to keep digging.

Brittany
Black - Aberdeen
Milton - Aberdeen
Joslyn - Canada, England
Ross - Scotland, Ireland