Author Topic: alexander wood  (Read 2269 times)

Offline sexymama

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
alexander wood
« on: Monday 12 March 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate an Alexander Wood who was born about 1816 in Gamrie, Banffshire, Scotland.  The only informastion I have about his father is James Wood and mother Fraser.  I hav e James Wood born 1764, but that wuld make it that James was 52 when Alexander was born.  Any help in locating a birth certificate stating this.  It also said that Alexander wasd the illegitimate son of James. 

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: alexander wood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever check the Rankin death certificate to find the parents of Christian Rankin? Let me know if you have and I'll check them in my notes and see if I can help you with that line.

Graham.

Offline sexymama

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
alexander wood
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I have the names of Christian's parents.  Thomas Rankin and Christian Milne.  I cannot find a death certificate for Christian.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: alexander wood
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 12 20:48 GMT (UK) »
These Rankins are not the same family as my own ancestors.

Your Thomas Rankin married Christian Milne in the parish of Tyrie in 1803 (the marriage record is dated 21st August, but could be the contract rather then the actual marriage. You have to see it to know).

The 1841 census shows them at Bracoden, Gamrie, both aged "60" and born outside Banffshire. Thomas is an agricultural labourer.

The 1851 census shows them still at Bracoden. Thomas, 74, retired farmer, was born in Fyvie. Christian, 74, was born in Ellon.

They may have died before 1855 when compulsory registration started. If they were buried at Gamrie, the burial register was kept pretty accurately at this time.

Graham.