Author Topic: Herbert Samuel PALMER b. ca 1900 Bristol COMPLETED thanks to keyboard86  (Read 17576 times)

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello! I am looking for the parents of Herbert Samuel PALMER who was b. in Bristol ca 1900.

He m. Winifred P. HERBERT of Plymouth ca 1917/1918 and they immigrated to Canada in 1926 (arr. Halifax,NS 1 May 1926) on the ship ZEELAND of the Red Line. They settled in Saint John,NB.

Any help is really appreciated.

Suzanne ( in Canada)

Carter, Moore

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Samuel PALMER b. ca 1900 Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzanne, I can find a likely birth reg for Winifred, who looks to have married at 17!

Winifred Pretoria Herbert Sept 1900 Devonport 5b 265

And the marriage was in Dec 1917 Devonport 5b 673

The problem is that I could not locate a Herbert Samuel Palmer b in Bristol area c 1900, the only one I could locate was a Herbert Samuel Palmer Sept 1892 Chertsey 2a 37 (Chertsey being in Surrey)

I can see 2 births in the Devonport area after the wedding and 1 in Stroud Gloucestershire, I presume the children accompanied them to Canada?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you keyboard for getting back to me so quickly!  Herbert PALMER could've been b. there. I got his birthplace from a death cert. of an infant dau. who only lived 7 hours, here in Saint John,NB,Canada in 1937. Herbert was the informant though... It just said simply "Bristol, England". Is there more than one Bristol and if so is it near Chertsey?

Winifred Pretoria HERBERT b. Sept 1900 must be the right one. Did you see her parents' names? I don't know what "5b 265" means, sorry.
Thank you for the note on my other post leading me here. :)
Suzanne
Carter, Moore

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, so are you saying that on the death certificate for the infant girl, he had his birth place?

Winifred is on the 1901 census:-

Frank Herbert 26 occ General Lab b Stonehouse Devon
Eliza 30 b Devonport
Winifred 10 months b Devonport
Residing at 3, Fellowes Place, Devonport
Census Ref RG13/2109/59/4

Possible marriage James Henry F Herbert to Eliza Ann Stone Sept 1897 Stoke D (Stoke Damerel) 5b 645 (Stoke Damerel covered the district of Devonport)
Keyboard86

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, he just said "Bristol, England" under "Father's Birth Place".
Suzanne
Carter, Moore

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, he just said "Bristol, England" under "Father's Birth Place".
Suzanne

Hi again, their is this possible:-

Herbert Samuel Palmer Dec 1889 Bedminster 5c 664, which is on the Gloucestershire/Somerset borders?

But was Herbert that much older than Winifred, what age was given for him at his death?
Keyboard86

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Herbert PALMER d. in 1958 but in Canada there is a privacy act which prevents the posting of his death certificate on our archives site. So I don't have it.  We just figured it was around 1900 because of Winifred's birthyear . So it is possible that he was that much older than Winifred.
Suzanne
Carter, Moore

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking at the passenger list of the Zeeland on the 24th April 1926 Southampton to Halifax, Winifred states her age as 35 and is accompanied by a Winifred aged 4 and Herbert aged 3, I can locate the birth of Herbert in Devonport, but not that of Winifred?
Also 1926 minus 35 = a birth year of 1891? The last address in the UK was Morrell? Square Devonport.

Keyboard86

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That's great! They have the ages all wrong in the transcription in the Canadian Library  and Archives. They did say that it was very hard to read. They listed Winifred as 24, dau. Winifred as 8 and Herbert as 6 which I figured was a mis transcription for 26. He must be the Herbert S. PALMER 1922 - 1977 in the same cemetery as Winifred PALMER. I didn't know about him. One Herbert PALMER listed came over on the MONTCLARE (Canadian Pacific Line) 9 Jul 1927, age 42 (b. 1885). There are two others, one aged 22 in 1927 and one aged 21 in 1928. I suppose it is possible that hHerbert Sr. came over the next year for some reason.

I just checked our provincial archives who are posting digital copies of death cert. on a daily basis. They are up to some in 1953 now and  Winifred Pretoria (nee HERBERT) PALMER's is there! It wasn't a few days ago. The privavcy cut-off date is 1961 so they have a team working daily on them. Anyway, her father was Edward HERBERT, b. "England" and her mother is "unknown" by informant. She was born in Devon 3 June 1900.

Does any of this help?
Suzanne
Carter, Moore