Author Topic: WOOD family (Tasmania)  (Read 14516 times)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD family (Tasmania)
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 March 12 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cando..I think that the Florence Wood died 1893 may have been their mother only inasmuch as as she was old enough to have them and they would have been young childrenat her death. If she was unmarried she would be a spinster but perhaps known as Wood and not Watson...she is really only a straw at this stage.... The Amelia Florence of Thomas wood and Marry Ann Albury died of consumption at 2 years I have her death cert from Tas archives.  Most of their children died young.

According to a news item in the Mercury in a dispute about maintenance 7 yrs after their marriage, Thomas waited till Eliza went to visit her mother and then sold all her things and told her not to return although she wished to. Seemed a bit of argy bargy there, but I doubt the split was amicable.

I have not seen Thomas known as Thomas Henry anywhere else.
I think someone else filled it in, either minister or kids.
We don't know if Thomas the father was at the wedding either
Also I am wondering if the kids even knew their exact ages if they weren't reg. My aunt said her mother was born in January .

When I was on their trail I did think and was convinced Margaret was a second marriage......until the marriage cert arrived....also interestlingly Margaret and Thomas have no other children except these attached to them...It nearly all fits bar Florence.......
Hmm who is Florence and where is she...

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 15 March 12 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you think the William Terry 4 Feb 1889 is Elizas baby son?  She died in the January perhaps from childbirth.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 March 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you think the William Terry 4 Feb 1889 is Elizas baby son?  She died in the January perhaps from childbirth.

Wm was 67 years old.  I would suggest it is his father. There wer a few TERRY's in SA.

Florence who died in 1893 is,according to the death notice posted by Debra, the daughter of Alfred and Amelia WOOD so couldn't be the mother of May and siblings.  Her birth is registered with those parents.

I will respond to your message tomorrow.....I'm not om my computer.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 15 March 12 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I have found some burials for the Wood family.

I checked the Funeral Directorys and have found Thomas Wood died 22nd August 1913 buried 23rd August 1913.He died at his residence 38 Risdon Road Newtown aged 72 years.He (was) buried at St Johns Church Cemetery Newtown.The Wood Estate paid for his funeral.

All the headstones from this Cemetery have been removed and have been relocated to the Cornelian Bay Cemetery.
The Gardens Family History website have taken photo`s of these headstones but Thomas Wood who died in 1913 is not one of them....but I did find two children of Thomas and Mary Ann Wood.

Elizabeth Amy Wood died 22 November 1843(on the TPI index it has 1845 but as it is a very old headstone I would say it was very hard to read the inscription)The TPI also has mistakes so the Gardens family website may have it correct.It does look like 1843 to me. :D
On the TPI Elizabeth was aged one year at death.
Elizabeth`s birth is not on the TPI.Maybe this is the elusive Helen Wood who was born 6/09/1842 :)

George Edward Wood died 9th Febuary 1853 aged 1 month and 20 days.

Click onto the link below and you will find a page that will take you to the Wood headstones.Just click onto the W and then scroll down to the Wood names.Click onto the little camera at the side of the names.The headstone is a bit hard to read.

http://thegardensfamily.com/cemeteries/Hobart/StJohn/index.htm#W

Johngirl

Also there were two Florence Amelia Wood born on the same day.

Florence Amelia Wood
born 5/01/1856 Reg number 995/1856 RDG 33 Hobart.
Parents Thomas and Mary Ann Wood (nee Albury)

Florence Amelia Wood
born 5/01/1856 Reg number 931/1856 RDG 33 Hobart.
Parents Thomas and Mary Ann Wood (nee Allwright) ;D

PS no sign of Margaret on the funeral directorys or Queenborough Cemetery Indexes.They do not have all the funeral directors in the indexes especially the little country ones. >:(
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 15 March 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much.  I have seen the headstones and it is amazing they still exist.  Elizabeth Amy is reg on Tas archives..a couple of the kids had baptisms.  Florence Amelia died from bronchitis and whooping cough, it was one of the others died from consumption.

Helen is registered with a dash and then named afterwards on the same line.  There was provision made for it, something I had not seen before. Funny really, you'd think it was just as easy to write Helen first rather than last on the form...
I have found nothing of her at all. I searched for William (he was a baptism) and only found his details last week  by accident .
The order of birth of the girls of Thomas and Margaret is right, (Florence) Eveline was the oldest.

I'm a bit confused here as our Thomas Wood died in August 1919....not 1913....
The last we know of Marg alive is in 1887 with the birth of the last child. 

Givans/Gibbons/is spelt so many different ways and I also had problems with Wood/Woods.
Thinking, thinking.....

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 March 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Woops sorry it was ment to be 1919 not 1913.Big error on my part. :-[

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 March 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Johngirl...it is great to know where he rests...
Am dusting off and relooking at a family notice that I have seen before:

May 30th 1887 (pub mercury 31st July 1888)
Stevenson At her brothers residence Hope Farm, Browns River Road wife of AG Stevenson a son.

Now Mrs A G was Laura Julia sister of Thomas Wood. 
it doesn't name the brother but Henry died in Thames somewhere in NZ.  I MAY have found him as a goldminer that arrived there in 1867 on the Karaka. ( I have lived in NZ and gold was the only reason people went there in those days.)
William (married Jean Rait if it is the right one, his death notice 1894 adds up) and  lived in Providence Valley.
OK.
That leaves Thomas as the other brothers did not survive infancy.
This baby was born in 1887.....
same year birth and death as  baby William res 368 Elizabeth Street....
Perhaps they stayed there when William was born to be close for treatment...
May was born Brown River.....
Could this be Margaret and Thomas's farm.....
Is it better to get marriage or death certs?  Thought I might get my grandmothers death, might show something DEPENDING on the informant as He/ she doesn't seem too reliable!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 16 March 12 02:16 GMT (UK) »
If possible I would like some help with finding my grandmothers birth registration about 1886  May Julia Wood is according to her 1912 marriage cert the child of Thomas Henry Wood and Florence Eveline Watson.  She had a brother also Thomas and a sister also Florence.

I think there has been confusion all round....  Florence Eveline is May Julia's sister - registered as Eveline.  WATKINS is the surname of Thomas's first wife....has this name been submitted as WATSON.... his 'legal' wife and mother of May Julia or misunderstood by the minister preparing the registration?

Florence Eveline's marriage cert and Thomas Henry's may be useful.

Who and when did Thomas Henry marry?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 16 March 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cando thanks for that it certainly is a possibility. Watkins and Watson sound very similar.  I think the minister may have misheard a few things!

My aunt said  Thomas went to Queensland to cut sugarcane, he never married and died there as far as she knew.  That of course may not be right, but I would have no idea where to start looking for him.