Author Topic: Cadenhead from Aberdeen  (Read 3379 times)

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cadenhead from Aberdeen
« on: Monday 16 May 05 13:32 BST (UK) »
My g/g/g grandmother was Janet (Jessie) Cadenhead.  She married Alexander Smith in Sept 1824.  Her parents were Alexander Cadenhead and Jessie Nicol.  Their marriage cert is not available on scotlandspeople so would love to hear from anyone else researching this line so I can get further back with Alexander Smith (are there any other ways I could find his parents?)

Janet & Alexander had 4 children (that I know):-

Thomas b. 1841
Alexander b. 1827
John b. 1829
James b. 1831

Lindsay
Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cadenhead from Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 05 19:55 BST (UK) »
Maybe you could buy the death certificates.
this will give parents if the informant, know the names,
go for the women first, because they are croosreferenced, with married and maiden names.
good luck
kenjo ;)
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I bought the death cert for Jessie and that's how I got her parents but there are just too many Alexander Smiths for me to afford to look at all of them on Scotlands people!  Just as well I enjoy a challenge with a surname like Smith!
Lindsay
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
Lindsay,
Can you tell us, when Janet died, and where she was living and do you have children in the census? and was hubby dead yet.
kenjo

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 05 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenjo, thanks for your interest.

This is all I have in my notes for Janet:

No birth cert available on Scotlandspeople although confirms parents as Alexander Cadenhead & Jessie Nicol

No marrige cert available for Janet and Alexander Smith in Scotlandspeople although confirm married on 25 Sept 1824.  Janet is called Jessy.

1871 census.  Jessie is aged 77, living at 1 Links Street, a ship carpenters widow.  Also living with her are 2 sons, John aged 41, ropemaker and Thomas, aged 31, labourer.

Death Cert.  Janet died in 1872 as a widow, aged 78.  The informant of her death was her son and occupier, Alexander Smith.  Her usual residence was 1 Links Street, Aberdeen

On her son Thomas's death cert in 1900, Janet is named as Jessie.

In IGI the christening for Janet is 17th June 1794 at Old Machar.  Parents are Alexander Cadenhead and Janet Nicol

This means that Alexander Smith was already dead by the time of the 1871 census - and I think he was born in 1791.

Any help much appreciated  :)
Lindsay

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 05 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,
I have found the family in the 1841 census.

: Aberdeen Burgh-Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 3Civil Parish: St Clements Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -Folio: 2 Page: 2Address: Canal Lane

Surname       First name(s)       Sex       Age       Occupation       Where Born   
          SMITH         Alexander         M         40         Ship Carpenter          Aberdeenshire     
          SMITH         Jess         F         40                   Aberdeenshire     
          SMITH         Alexander         M         14                   Aberdeenshire     
          SMITH         John         M         11                   Aberdeenshire     
          SMITH         James         M         9                   Aberdeenshire     
          SMITH         William         M         4                   Aberdeenshire     
          SMITH         Thomas         M         2                   Aberdeenshire     
          NICOL         Janet         F         80                   Aberdeenshire     

Aren't you lucky, you also have possibly another child and also grandma, at home.

I had alook at the possible deaths of
al* smith, 1855-1871, in aberdeen city, covering ages 50 to 85.
and there really seems to be only about 4 possibles.
he really should be born before 1800, [as you know]so take that into account, and look at the st nick ones and the old machar, one and there does seem to be, 4.
that is if all goes well.
tell how you get on.
kenjo :D                     

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 05 13:07 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - thank you so much for your help!  I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers,
Lindsay  :)

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 May 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Well, tried again on scotlandspeople and still no luck, I tried every al smith 1794 - 1801 (6 of them) and it's none of them.  Are there instances whereby certificates are not on scotlands people?

Ah well, the search goes on.

Thanks again
Lindsay

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 May 05 22:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry you had no luck, Lindsay.
What can happen is, that, there is no death age on the index, I always hope this is not the case, especially, with a name like smith.
 So if this was the case, you have to leave the the age box empty. [and you would end up with too, many choices as you, have already been through].
The other choice is that, he died before, 1855.
The other thing you can try, are mounumental inscriptions.
Or if you can find a marriage of one of his children, before 1871.
and if they say dad was deceased.
regards,
kenjo :-\