Author Topic: Schoberth Family,Femoy.  (Read 2188 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Schoberth Family,Femoy.
« on: Tuesday 13 March 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,i would like to know if there are any census records for Femoy,Cork in 1877-8,i am looking for the Schoberth's German both born in Bavaria,Karl Michael born 1849,wife Christine born 1859 maiden name Legurderfelar.Two of their daughters born in Femoy, Isabella 1878 and Mary 1877.Karl and Christine moved to London, Karl called himself Charles worked for Queen Victoria as a page at Windsor castle.I would like to know what they were doing in Ireland? regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Schoberth Family,Femoy.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
The earliest available Irish census is the one for 1901 - see :

Introduction to Irish Records

I dont see any BMD Index reference or extracted record for Isabella, but there is a possible match for Mary.

Name: Mary Shobertt
  Birth date: 18 Oct 1877
  Birthplace: Fermoy, Co. Cork
  Parents : Charles Shobertt & Christina Legurderfelar

The corresponding Index record is :

Name:   Mary Shobertt
  Registration district:   Fermoy
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1877
  Volume :   19 / Page: 722

A birth cert would show father's occupation and probably a more detailed address, which may give clues as to why the family were in Ireland.

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello shanew147,thank you so much for the info,Charles or Karl was the father in law of my cousin.Isabella was known as Bella she was discribed as feeble minded and ended up in care of nuns at Nazereth house southsea Hampshire.The reason i asked was that i thought there might be a connection in Femoy to the royal family as they worked for them,Christine became housekeeper at Kensington Palace after Karl's death.My cousin was sidney Grantham he was married to the other daughter Christine but she was born in Bavaria,i guess this family travelled around a bit.regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like Charles probably worked for Lord & Lady Fermoy.   Have a look at Edmund Burke Roche, 1st Baron of Fermoy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmond_Roche,_1st_Baron_Fermoy  He  was born Aug 1815 and died 1874.  He was a member of
the Irish House of Parliament and also represented Marylebone.   He was also Lord Lieutenant of County Cork.

Edmund Roche 4th Baron of Fermoy was the maternal grandfather of Diana, Princess of Wales.

I think the 3rd Lady Fermoy was a lady in waiting to the Queen Mother. 
 Lord & Lady Fermoy (1st or 2nd) probably had connections to Queen Victoria and if so, brought Charles and his wife over to
England where he worked for Queen Victoria.   

A possibility, worth checking out.  That seems to be the connection, in my opinion????

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello celtic liberty,thanks so much for that info,i think you may be right i will look into it.I was also wondering if there was a connection to Queen Victoria's German side,but i don't think Albert came from Bavaria but perhaps someone else did?it would explain why Charles came over and worked for the royal family.regards tobyma123. :)