Author Topic: help please locating George Averille 1871 plus wife and her 2nd husband  (Read 1810 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help please locating George Averille 1871 plus wife and her 2nd husband
« on: Wednesday 14 March 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Im trying to find out the where abouts of George Averill , Charles Peaker and Chrisita Williamson in the 1871 census.

Charles Peaker boirn 1854 in Wakefield to George Peaker and Elizabeth Rusby, in 1881 he is in Scotland with wife Christiana born 1853 Dundee to Jane and Andrew Williamson.

accroding to marriage of Charles and Chrisitina in 1884 in Dundee Chrisitina is widow of George Averille.

George is a ploughman

the children in the 1891 census are Sadie Averlle b1874 USA , Margaret Averille b 1876 Loclee, Chrisitina Peaker b 1878 Dundee, Henry Peaker b 1883 Dundee, Jeanie Peaker b 1885 Dundee.

they are transcribed quite awfully though.

now presuming Christina isnt married to George in 1871 where is she? plus where is George Averille and also Charles

im thinking George is still alive in 1881 but where and seperated from Christina, as she is listed with Charles there as wife, but no till 1884 .

any help is greatly appriciateed

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: help please locating George Averille 1871 plus wife and her 2nd husband
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I just looked on SP at the 1875 Lochee birth certificate for Margaret Munro Averill ... her father's name was not George, but Samuel Jackson Averill.  He was married to Christina Williamson on March 12 1873 in Methuen, Massachusetts.  I've just checked on IGI and the marriage is listed in the Massachusetts Marriages 1841 - 1915 index - the bride's parents are listed as Andrew and Jane.  Samuel was born in 1852. 

You can also view on IGI the birth certificate of Sadie Averell (sic), 21 Feb 1874 in Salem, New Hampshire.  The certificate lists her father's place of birth as Moultonborough, New Hampshire. 

Also on IGI is a possible US 1870 census entry for 'Samuel J Averell', aged 19, living in New Hampshire with his parents. 

The 1880 Dundee birth certificate of George Dow Peaker says that Christina is the widow of Samuel Averill 'who died 2 years ago'. 

The 1882 Dundee birth certificate of Henry Peaker says that Christina is the widow of Samuel Averill 'who died 6 years ago'. 

In the 1871 census there is a Christina Williamson aged 19 (born c. 1852 in Dundee) in Lochee, a factory worker, boarding at the house of a Margaret Findlay.  Could be a possibility?  Or perhaps she was in the US?  You need to find someone who knows about immgration records of that time!   

Not yet found Charles Peaker on the 1871 census ...

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thnaks Gali, that certainly does tie in with the US, but Samuel J Averlell? , i will attach the marriage of Charles and Christina, a friend and fellow cousin found this for me you see, that is why we got George.

Many thanks for the lead on Samuel and the other info.

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'd seen the 'George Averill' on the marriage certificate but you will also see that Christina couldn't write (she signs 'x her mark') so likely she also couldn't read to be able to correct the mistake of the registrar ... this was not uncommon! 

Have a look at the 1899 Dundee marriage certificate on SP for Sadie Averill to John Foreman ... does it list a name for her father?  It might also be worth trying to find a marriage or death cert for Margaret Munro Averill ...

It's worth trying to find all of the relevant sources and if you do find another reference to George rather than Samuel then maybe all this is a red herring but from the short time that I've spent on it, I'd say that it does seem that all sources point to Christina's Mr Averill being named Samuel rather than George ...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Gali, followed your steps...and agree with what you found. A number of online trees on A/try all have the same details with sources to back up what you found to date.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes thankyou for the Help, on A/try it may be my tree, if it had Ro***nee Jo*** tree , i followed all the steps Gali had written and added them today

Many thanks again, I think Charles is going to be mis transcribed badley somewhere, erither in Scotland or Wakefield! Yorkshire.

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 12 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Weenie, I've just been looking at your tree now, that's great that you have found the details of the sea passage by Christina into Boston, does the information say if she travelled alone?  I wonder if it's possible to find out when, and with whom, she returned to Scotland? 

Also, I see that Charles, son of Christina and Charles, was on the Mars in the 1891 census, you may already know that there is a great website www.sonsofthemars.com about the Mars Training Ship.  Type his name in the search engine of the website - you will see that he was awarded a prize in 1893 for joint best carpenter!
http://www.sonsofthemars.com

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 March 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I did try to find Christina and daughters Sadie and Margaret coming back into the UK in that period late 1870s and before the 1881 census, but failed miserably  :P

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou So much Gali, i didnt know anything of the MARS, when i looked at the census, i thought it may be an industrial school, didnt think to see the "MARS" i just googled the address, but couldnt find anything lol. what an interesting read...... Wonder why Charles was on the MARS? he wasnt orphaned at the time,

Thankyou also MonicaL, i niether can find a passenger list for her return, although the passenger lists incoming  UK start at 1878, so it was just before this as Maggie was born in Lochee, in 1875 whereas Sadie was born New Hampshire USA 1874.

Thankyou again both of you

Weenie