Author Topic: Mary Rees  (Read 6564 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mary Rees
« on: Thursday 15 March 12 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Can some one help with a Parish of St. Thomas, Haverfordwest lookup?

Mary Rees buried: 13 June 1795.

Believed to be the wife of David Rees, but why was their second child baptised in St. Martins Haverfordwest 3 June 1795 (born 1793), only 10 days before.

Maybe Mary Rees had a third child and she died following that child's birth.
St. Thomas Parish was a known location for their residence and St. Martin for many other records.

PS for those who have shown an interest in this project, the second marriage of David Rees to Ann Lee (Mary's sister) has been located in St. Mary de Crypt, Gloucester. We are now just checking the transcription of the year - 1797 or 1799.

Regards,

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Rees
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Since you have the full information of Mary’s burial that will be shown in the register not sure what more can be added.

I can confirm there is no mrge of a David Rees to a Mary (Unknown) pre 1795 in or surrounding parishes to H’west.

I note for your interest the burial of a David Rees at H’west St Martin in 1825 and 1837

What else is it that you seek at present? (within reason ofcourse)

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Orielbenfro (again)

You are always so obliging.

No, David Rees married Mary Lee 5 May 1791 Covent Gardens, London with Elizabeth Lee (older sister of Mary Lee) as a witness. It said that they were both of this Parish, but I am not sure how. David was quick to get back to Haverfordwest for the birth of my ancestor John 13 Feb 1792 Haverfordwest. I am 99.9% sure that the three Lee girls are from Watford, Northamptonshire and daughters of John Manning Lee and Mary Lea.

Yes, David Rees' death was the 1837 date. I have his burial record and his lengthy Will.

I know nothing about the other burial that you mentioned.

I was just re-doing the "Rees - Pocock Connection" booklet that I prepared for a get together in Bristol last May, when I found that I had the date  of the death of Mary Rees  (buried 13 Jun 1795 St. Thomas, Haverfordwest, but I had not included how/ format/ image of where I had got that information. It may have even been you, so my sincere apologies.

I have failed to find any thing about David's parents; however, I can say that his mother Joan Rees was living with him in 1797 in Havefordwest, but as to where and when she was buried, it could be St. Martins or St. Thomas. I know that David Rees was an innkeeper in Haverfordwest in 1797 and then the Castle Inn, 1801 on. He also was innkeeper of  West Barnars Inn Haroldstone 1801-2.

As I eluded to, David Rees did marry his deceased wife's sister Ann Lee, who along with her mother Mary Lee and Joan Rees were living with David Rees and the two boys John and William Lee Rees in 1797. The marriage took place in Gloucester. A girl called Sarah Ann Rees was born c 1799 in Gloucester... so now with this marriage taking place in Gloucester, my guess is that Ann Lee has fallen pregnant, and they have gone to get married in St. Mary de Crypt and Ann has stayed on for the birth of their daughter.

I did have a computer break down with some of my personal emails, so is there a way that I can check information that you may have sent me via Rootschat indicating that it may have been you who found the St. Thomas burial of Mary Rees in 1795?

Regards,

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Keith
What follows are the contents of a letter or email or communication I had with someone(not you, but who I have their forename only) back in 2008.
Back in history, I used to keep research done for others in my "Pearls of Wisdom" folder (you have to call it something), it did not take long for me to realise the shear amount of room been taken up, so stopped, but with luck most of what I produced sits in Forum folders anyway ;

1841 Census Fishguard
George Rees 35 Watch Maker Yes
Martha Rees 20 – Yes
Emiline 09 moths – Yes
1851 Census Lower Town Fishguard
George Manning Rees H M 48 Watch Finisher Haverfordwest
Martha Rees W M 52 – Pembs Dale
Plus the rest of the family
1861 Census Fishguard
George Manning Rees 58 Watch Maker Haverfordwest
Martha Rees W M 43 – Pembs Dale
Plus rest of the family

Neither Fishguard, Dale or H’west St Martin fall within the Pembroke Registration District and therefore can not possibly refer to a mrge between the George and Martha in 1840 here shown in the census. Since there are no other mrge’s that equate to this couple in Wales the search must be elsewhere, I fancy London or the residence of David Rees at his death.

Searched H’west St Martin Mrge Register 1839 – 1841
There is no reference to any mrge of any George Rees to any Martha with any surname.

H’west St Thomas Bapt 1822 to 1835
10 June 1832 James Lee to George & Sarah Rees of Dredgmens Hill Farmer.
05 Jan 1829 James to William & Lettice Rees of Dredgmens Hill Labourer

H’west St Thomas Mrge Register 1831
George Rees a Farmer and Bach mrd Sarah Williams a Minor by licence with consent of parents on the 23 Apr 1831. both signed their names in the presence of John Rees and Thomas Codd.

Comes from a Book called “The Rees Family History” by Marion Joy Menhennet and Keith R. Rees.

I had a look elsewhere and found a reference to “David Rees” Born 1758 (location and date unknown -   Died 1837 of Merlins Hill (probably lower slopes of Dredgemens Hill, but needs to be confirmed), see The Rees Family History.

I found the following unrelated to the book and again from my own research;
JAMES LEA REES (note middle name) Seaman HMS Blenheim Royal Navy. Widow Maria Rees of Steyton. Claim re her husbands estate in 1884 reference nbr HPR/3/112. The reference tells me its within Parish Records and not some Solicitors type documents.
JAMES LEE REES Grocer of H’west Grocer Release (more lightly should read Lease/Release) dated 10th Nov 1854 reference nbr D/PEH/2/535. Clearly about some property, this is I believe from a Solicitor or Lawyers records that have been deposited at the Rec Off.

Since I quote your book in 2008, there is little chance that any of the above is relevant to your current research, the places mentioned I now know well.

The best I can produce currently is David Rees mrd Joane George at Lawrenny in 1751.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Keith
I have found another email in the same folder that I think was sent to you by email in Feb 2010, by lucky chance it also has your 'cable' address on it, so have resent the email for your interest.
If you remember it had the plans of the Baptist chapel from Robert Rd attached.
The email is over 5,500 characters so could not fit on Rootschat, I did waffle an awful lot in those days.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 07:47 BST (UK) »

Hi Orielbenfro

Your previous find: "The best I can produce currently is David Rees mrd Joane George at Lawrenny in 1751".

This record now seems to have a lot of weight, as a David Rees bp Dec 11 1757 has been located in Freystrop. This matches his estimated birth c1758 based on his age at the time of death in 1837 - Merlin's Hill, formerly Greenhill.

Regards,

Keith